Plants showing no signs of growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbib1089

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on my planted set up.
I am currently running the following:

Tank:
55g tank
Fluval 306 canister filter
Tetra whisper air pump and small air stone
Coralife 48 inch dual bulb T5 HO lights
6,700K bulb
10,000K bulb
Glass aquarium top

Plants:
Java Fern
Anubias
Water Sprite
Bacopa
Corkscrew Val
Flame Moss
Blyxa Japonica

Dosing:
Flourish 1 dose a week
Flourish Excel 5 doses after water change & then 1 dose daily
Flourish Root Tabs

The main problem that I am having is that I am not seeing any significant growth on any of my plants. I am also noticing that some of the plants have black/brown spots on some of the leaves and stalks. Do I need additional ferts? Am I missing a key component?

Thank you all for your responses

The fertilizer you are using is insufficient for your aquarium needs. The liquid ferts are great for low light tanks but when moving up to higher levels of light you need to increase ferts accordingly. I would highly suggest getting a fertilizer pack from green leaf aquariums and dosing either a pps pro or estimative index dosing routine. I would also suggest that you start dosing a bit more excel. I would probably move up to 5 ml daily at minimum (also, skip the initial large dose as its a waste)

When I switched to dry ferts as opposed to the junk I was using before my plant growth exploded and just started taking over the tank.

The fertilizer you are using is insufficient for your aquarium needs. The liquid ferts are great for low light tanks but when moving up to higher levels of light you need to increase ferts accordingly. I would highly suggest getting a fertilizer pack from green leaf aquariums and dosing either a pps pro or estimative index dosing routine. I would also suggest that you start dosing a bit more excel. I would probably move up to 5 ml daily at minimum (also, skip the initial large dose as its a waste)

When I switched to dry ferts as opposed to the junk I was using before my plant growth exploded and just started taking over the tank.

I have been looking into the dry ferts lately the whole thing seems a bit overwhelming. Also would I still use excel to supplement for co2? Do you think there would be any benefit adding an additional dose of flourish mid week until I can get my hands on the dry ferts?

Hello j...

I'd remove the airstone. Even a small one can add a little bit more oxygen to the tank water. Since O2 is a plant byproduct, plants won't do as well in a higher oxygen environment.

A suggestion only. You're the main waterkeeper.

B

Jbib I have many plants that you have in one of my tanks. I use Eco complete planted aquarium substrate which I would highly reccomend. I dose my plants with liquid co2 booster by API everyday and aqueon plant food once a week. This is one of my newer tanks and I saw plant growth, new buds and runners after a weeks time. I believe co2 is a big game changer but it can get expensive. I would play around with different additives and products until I got it right. Plants can take some patience

Hello j...

I'd remove the airstone. Even a small one can add a little bit more oxygen to the tank water. Since O2 is a plant byproduct, plants won't do as well in a higher oxygen environment.

A suggestion only. You're the main waterkeeper.

B

I've been thinking about taking the air stone out but do you really think that will make a big deference?

Jbib I have many plants that you have in one of my tanks. I use Eco complete planted aquarium substrate which I would highly reccomend. I dose my plants with liquid co2 booster by API everyday and aqueon plant food once a week. This is one of my newer tanks and I saw plant growth, new buds and runners after a weeks time. I believe co2 is a big game changer but it can get expensive. I would play around with different additives and products until I got it right. Plants can take some patience

I agree that co2 makes a big impact that's why I'm slowly adding more excell. I've had these plants for a little more than a month now and the only ones that have shown any growth are the flame moss and the water sprite. The water sprite got to a certain point and hasn't grown since. I know something is off which is why this is happening I just don't know what yet.

I'd say ditch the 10k for another 6700, I'm no expert but I don't think plants in our aquariums benefit much from anything over 7k. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong;)

My setup is very similar to yours, a 50g with two T5HOs, EcoComplete. My light fixture is similar to the Coralife in that it is a cheapy model with poor reflectors. I did uprgrade to two Fulham ballasts however. I consider it medium light borderline high, so if you plan on an eventual high plant load, you really want to use ferts, and either CO2 or a generous dose of Glutaralhyde in either the form of Excel or the way more cheap version, Metricide.

I run two Fluval 305s. Two of the three trays in each are stuffed completely full with extra BioMax and the third tray stuffed with cheap polyfil stuffing material. I'm considering a small powerhead still to improve circulation even more. Dosing schedule is daily Greenleaf ferts via PPS-Pro, and 25ml undiluted Metricide daily on a split photo period.

Getting in to ferts is a steep learning curve in the beginning but well worth it in the end. I did lots of homework on it and now just use the online calculators to figure exactly what to dose for my specific setup. All I test for is Nitrates and Phosphates.

You didn't mention the age of your tank. I realized myself this is a pretty big factor and takes lots of patience in the beginning. My tank is 7 months old now and requires weekly pruning just to prevent blocking the light. I feel however that the plants didn't really take off until about 3-4 months in which time the tank finally started to become stabilized. Before this it ran the gamut of bacterial blooms and many types of algae which have all subsided now. Am also a firm believer in 50% weekly water changes now.

20140228_195703.jpg

You didn't mention the age of your tank. I realized myself this is a pretty big factor and takes lots of patience in the beginning. My tank is 7 months old now and requires weekly pruning just to prevent blocking the light. I feel however that the plants didn't really take off until about 3-4 months in which time the tank finally started to become stabilized.
View attachment 226207

First off I am extremely jealous of your tank, its gorgeous!

basically my ultimate goal is to have a planted tank like yours. I've been slowly adding plants that way I don't spend a ton of money just to have everything die. I also try and reasearch the types of plants that I would like to have before I buy them. I feel like the amount of plants I have now is right on the brink of keeping them alive but not growing/thriving so naturally there needs to be adjustments before I go forward. Just this morning I was looking into PPS-Pro ferts. It seems like it's not too complicated. CO2 system is also in the plans but I'm going to need to wait until funds become available. In the mean time how much excell do you think I should be dosing per day?

My setup is very similar to yours, a 50g with two T5HOs, EcoComplete. My light fixture is similar to the Coralife in that it is a cheapy model with poor reflectors. I did uprgrade to two Fulham ballasts however. I consider it medium light borderline high, so if you plan on an eventual high plant load, you really want to use ferts, and either CO2 or a generous dose of Glutaralhyde in either the form of Excel or the way more cheap version, Metricide.

I run two Fluval 305s. Two of the three trays in each are stuffed completely full with extra BioMax and the third tray stuffed with cheap polyfil stuffing material. I'm considering a small powerhead still to improve circulation even more. Dosing schedule is daily Greenleaf ferts via PPS-Pro, and 25ml undiluted Metricide daily on a split photo period.

Getting in to ferts is a steep learning curve in the beginning but well worth it in the end. I did lots of homework on it and now just use the online calculators to figure exactly what to dose for my specific setup. All I test for is Nitrates and Phosphates.

You didn't mention the age of your tank. I realized myself this is a pretty big factor and takes lots of patience in the beginning. My tank is 7 months old now and requires weekly pruning just to prevent blocking the light. I feel however that the plants didn't really take off until about 3-4 months in which time the tank finally started to become stabilized. Before this it ran the gamut of bacterial blooms and many types of algae which have all subsided now. Am also a firm believer in 50% weekly water changes now.

View attachment 226207

Gorgeous tank. Thanks for the good advice. I didn't realize it took that long for a new planted tank to stabilize. I only have amazon swords in my tank so I haven't had the experience of a fully planted tank.

In regards to how long the tank has been set up,

I originally had the 55 gallon set up for a year. In that time i had low lighting and just a few low light plants in the tank. in early january the tank started leaking out of the bottom seals all at once. the manufacturer wouldnt replace the tank unless I could come up with the original bill of sale. The tank was a gift for me and as a result I had no receipt. It was an Aqueon brand tank and since then I have sworn off all Aqueon products. I managed to replace the tank within a week with a new brand saving my substrate, filter media & fish.

Since I had to get a whole new tank I figured it was time for an upgrade thats why I got the new lighting glass tops and basically prepared for a serious planted tank.

I'm by no means an expert. This is my first planted tank and first aquarium larger than 10 gal. I've slowly added plants too, as well as doing research on which ones I buy, but now I'm kind of experimenting with all plants. I think one can even grow higher light plants with success on a med light setup, they just won't ever show their true colors.

My sword was my first plant and it didn't do a thing growth wise I remember for at least 3 months after I put it in. My first go at Staurogyne Repens depressingly fizzled out, but now on my second try it's taking off good. Just a lot of patience.

Most have stated the general rule starting with Excel as a carbon source would be 1 ml per 10 gal tank water, but higher plant loads obviously will require more, as well as more ferts. I would start out dosing 5-10 ml daily on a 55 gal. It can get expensive quick however which is why I went with Metricide from the start. I'm dosing the equivalent in Excel of about 40-45 ml a day on my 50 gal and have not lost a fish in months. I have a theory that high doses may stunt plant growth somewhat however because it is after all an algaecide. But I'm ok with it by all means if keeps the algae away!

The Greenleaf ferts are an awesome package for the money. I still dose the recommended pps-pro amounts since I started, with the exception of having increased the phosphate significantly. My tank is currently around 10ppm nitrate and 2ppm phosphate.

I'm going to place an order for those ferts today. I'm just going to wait for my last bit of flourish to run out. Too bad I just stocked up on a bigger bottle a few days ago. I might just give it to my brother in law he's still doing a low light set up for the time being.

I'm going to place an order for those ferts today. I'm just going to wait for my last bit of flourish to run out. Too bad I just stocked up on a bigger bottle a few days ago. I might just give it to my brother in law he's still doing a low light set up for the time being.

If you intend to dose the PPS-PRO method, get the Estimative Index pack from Greenleaf for $15. This one does not include the Magnesium Sulfate which I believe most do not need unless your tap water is soft.

If you intend to dose the PPS-PRO method, get the Estimative Index pack from Greenleaf for $15. This one does not include the Magnesium Sulfate which I believe most do not need unless your tap water is soft.

The big difference between the EI pack and the PPS Pro pack is that the PPS Pro includes 2 500ml dosing bottles that cost $6 each which is something that I would highly recommend getting. I used EI for quite a long time very successfully but due to school restraints I switched to pps pro. I can safely get away with a monthly water change as opposed to the weekly ones that is an absolute necessity under EI. They are both very very successful dosing systems so that's up to you to figure out.

Gorgeous tank. Thanks for the good advice. I didn't realize it took that long for a new planted tank to stabilize. I only have amazon swords in my tank so I haven't had the experience of a fully planted tank.

Generally, that 6 month period has more to do with the learning curve of an aquarist that is new to plants. There will be small algae blooms even for an experienced aquarist until all the kinks get worked out which can cause issues for plants stalling development even more. For example, my 55g is running beautifully despite a small hair algae bloom due to the increased lights but my 10g that's been running for quite a while is a constant nightmare.

CO2 system is also in the plans but I'm going to need to wait until funds become available. In the mean time how much excell do you think I should be dosing per day?

I mentioned this earlier in the post. You can safely dose up to 1ml / gallon of excel. On my dual T5ho 55g planted tank I was dosing 30ml of excel daily. It had a noticeable effect and didn't show much more usefulness at a higher dosage. You don't need a co2 system to have a healthy heavily planted tank so you can safely put that on the backburner for a while.

This is my tank in december before making equipment upgrades. Dual t5ho, Metricide 14 at 15mL / day, plain black sand substrate with root tabs, and EI ferts.

wvbeMtq.jpg

I would also suggest that you start dosing a bit more excel. I would probably move up to 5 ml daily at minimum (also, skip the initial large dose as its a waste)

Awesome tank Mebbid! I'm really shooting for a planted tank like yours. From the looks of things I'm seriously lacking some good ferts. I ordered the pack from green leaf aquariums so I'll give it a go when it comes in. I'm pretty excited to see it work before my eyes.

Back
Top Bottom