Plants Slowly Dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My plants started dieing in my 15 gallon.I just noticed now when I was adding more plants.Now in the tank I have 3 temple plants and 8 Cryptocoryne lucens. I just started dosing flourish this friday and I will dose every week. I'll give you the water parameters tomorrow because I just repanted and did a water change. Any suggestions on whats happening(the plants are covered in brown algae and starting to have holes through them,no yellowing yet).

Probably K if the crypts are rotting, but the temple plants need good light, and sometimes non-aquatics are sold as 'temple plant'.

15 gallons
light type?
light wattage?

27(1.8 wpg) watts cp or somthing else but it looks like cp,I bought this tank from a chinese store and thought it was a good deal.I bought the temple plants at aquariumplants.com.BTW the tank has 4 guppies and 6 dwarf puffers,I'll give you the test results later after trick-or-treating.Thanks!

uhhhh why 6 dp's? I thought 3 would do for that size tank..
and why do you have NH3?
what shape are the light bulbs?

Yeah, the ammonia scares me. Do a big water change with some water you've let stand for a few days.

I doubt that's killing your plants. Its good that you are dosing.
I had the same problem, brown lines formed throughout my java fern. I walked over to Big al's (jealous? :p ) and picked up som generic big al's liquid plant fertilizer. I also upped my lighting... the tank came with 2x25 watt incandesents... i only used one due to heat. NOW, i have a 10 watt plant grown incandescent, and a 10 watt PC. the 10 watt pc is about 5 times brighter than the 10 watt incandesent. Its insane.

anywho, keep us posted. Also, how long have you had the plants for?

Well, the dwarf puffers are in there temporrarily until I get my 30 gallon up cycled and running. The temple plants have been there for months, but I kept on replanting them and the first time planted them wrong. But now I am sure its a pc, I did some research on the company who made the tank and the light and it is a pc. Also my Cryptocoryne lutea leave are starting to become soft and its like they are "melting".

Crypts may show weird symptoms when introduced to a new tank. Give them some time to snap back. Don't pull them if they look bad but prune the bad leaves. Even if they die to the ground they often come back from the rhizome. They are not known for being very receptive for being transplanted. Do not give up all hope yet :)

Back
Top Bottom