Plants starting to go transparent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenplym

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys, I've not long set up a new planted tank, It's only week 1 and even though I have noticed a growth spurt I have also noticed a good few leaves are looking transparent including new growth. I am running CO2 (diy) and using EI dosing, on top of that I have added root tabs and using 3.4 wpg (t5 and pl) lighting. The co2 is going through an outlet with flow distributor, so I have a good flow and a lot of micro bubbles. (btw old filter and some gravel from previous established tank was used.)

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH approx 6.9 (though a huge drop from previous 8) when co2 added
Water is very soft here though ph of tap water is high 8+

I am waiting for some gh/kh test kits.

Any idea as to why this is happening, I had a lot of trouble with transparent leaves on my swords in old tank (no co2 or EI but used excel and other ferts)

I want to sort this out as I am stumped... Following all rules and guidelines for successful growth I would have thought EI would assure they have all they needed regarding micros and macros.

I also have an otto and some assassin snails (could it be them?)

Many Thanks

Steve

For swords, crypts, and other bulb plants you need to use root tabs. You said you just added the plants about a week ago and it's not uncommon for some plants to experience melting during acclimation. You just need to wait this out a bit and also remember that often times even tho the plants melt many will regrow in a few weeks. What plants do you have?

Back
Top Bottom