Plants still not thriving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dhg requires relatively high light, steady ferts and a good co2 source.. you may be able to keep it alive but I doubt it will carpet for you..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Narrow leaf chain sword is also nice med. Light Carpet. Star repens could just might work for you too.. for simple dosing.. look into api leaf zone and flourish comp. Osmocote root tabs are the business.. if you're serious about growing stuff than check out green leaf aquatics pps pro starter pack.. it will last you year/s..

With the light, people aren't sure. Nobody uses T8 lights on planted tanks anymore so the information really isn't out there on what works with them. I am positive you can grow medium light plants with those lights. The DHG on the other hand, I am not sure, i'd give it 50/50 if the lights are powerful enough.

With your fertilizer situation the way it is, I doubt that co2 would really help. The algae is very likely growing because you have a lack of proper fertilization. To keep a healthy planted tank you need a balanced mix of carbon, ferts, and light. When one of them is out of whack then algae grows and the plants suffer.

I use 2 x T8's and managed to grow low light beginner plants with easycarbo and profito fertiliser. I have EI dry ferts for when these run out but really might just buy more easy life stuff.

I dose ferts every 3-4 days and carbon every 1-2. It can be done with T8s for sure.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419286357.364039.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419286369.461254.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

http://youtu.be/nGhWziY_zh0
What do you guys think of doing this? I'm not familiar with leds how much watts would I need for a carpet. Does anyone have experience using these led floodlights. A 50 w one of these is equivalent to a 500w metal halide and I've seen people growing corals with them.

I'm dosing flourish though and I'm using root tabs. I'm still confused I have enough light to carpet just not enough nutrients? I'm not trying to seem ignorant but I'd like a dhg carpet still if possible with my lights but I'm confused if I have enough light or not. So your saying that it's still my fertilizer that's holding them back. I know you've told a few times that my problem isn't light its ferts but is that the problem for my dhg or all my other plants.

I'm dosing flourish though and I'm using root tabs. I'm still confused I have enough light to carpet just not enough nutrients? I'm not trying to seem ignorant but I'd like a dhg carpet still if possible with my lights but I'm confused if I have enough light or not. So your saying that it's still my fertilizer that's holding them back. I know you've told a few times that my problem isn't light its ferts but is that the problem for my dhg or all my other plants.

The ferts are the problem for your entire tank at the moment. Once you get the ferts under control then you will learn if the dhg will carpet properly. But without the proper ferts, it won't carpet for sure.

Ok I'm sorry for sounding so stupid, so don't throw any higher lighting on until I get my algea under control and tank balanced.

Ok I'm sorry for sounding so stupid, so don't throw any higher lighting on until I get my algea under control and tank balanced.

Yup! Algae happens so fast under high light.. it sucks. ..

Yep, this is what happened to my DHG carpet because my tank wasn't balanced.

From this
KO1XKxE.jpg

To this
AueoQc9.jpg

It's an algae battle from me having too much light. 4 t5ho bulbs over a 40b.

Your Tank

Ok, so I'm getting a little bit mixed reviews do you guys think I have enough light? Where could I get a par meter for cheap? I'm going to try the ei or pps pro once my flourish runs out. Would running pressurized on my tank not even benefit(I was planing on only running it on 1-2bps and getting some Metricide)

Hello again Mill...

Welcome to the "poster child" site for mixed reviews. Here's the skinny on your tank. Yes, you have plenty of light for the easy to grow, dark green plants. These typically require low to moderate light. You have it. Shop lighting is great for these kinds of plants. You don't need special equipment to know the lighting for florescents. If you have a couple of watts per gallon of tank volume, you're fine. Just check the watts on your lamps. Probably 32 watts per for the T8s and 40 for the T12s.

CO2 is pricey and tricky to set up. It's totally unnecessary for low light plants like Anubias, any of the mosses like Singapore and Java, Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort. All these will do fine with nothing more than the ferts the fish provide.

You don't need to take out a second on your house to fund this hobby if you stick to the basics.

B

Hello again Mill...

Welcome to the "poster child" site for mixed reviews. Here's the skinny on your tank. Yes, you have plenty of light for the easy to grow, dark green plants. These typically require low to moderate light. You have it. Shop lighting is great for these kinds of plants. You don't need special equipment to know the lighting for florescents. If you have a couple of watts per gallon of tank volume, you're fine. Just check the watts on your lamps. Probably 32 watts per for the T8s and 40 for the T12s.

CO2 is pricey and tricky to set up. It's totally unnecessary for low light plants like Anubias, any of the mosses like Singapore and Java, Anacharis, Hornwort and Pennywort. All these will do fine with nothing more than the ferts the fish provide.

You don't need to take out a second on your house to fund this hobby if you stick to the basics.

B

If you had actually read the thread, you would have noticed that Mil specifically wants to grow Dwarf Hair grass rather than hornwort and anacharis.

Hello again Mill...

B

Dude.. what's your deal?? Serioisly.. this passive aggressive caveman approach is starting to personally offend me.. i hate to ruin your day, week... year. They're in the process of phasing out t8 lighting.... :1987buickregalingnites: B is off to the hardware store....hornwort must live on!!!

Ok, so I'm getting a little bit mixed reviews do you guys think I have enough light? Where could I get a par meter for cheap? I'm going to try the ei or pps pro once my flourish runs out. Would running pressurized on my tank not even benefit(I was planing on only running it on 1-2bps and getting some Metricide)

Been following :)

I'd also be interested in a par meter as well if anyone knows (before the Aussie dollar crashes completely). To date I've looked at:

MQ-200

http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/aquarium-par-meters/?gclid=CJX-npeN28ICFQ8IvAodORIAtw

Seneye

http://www.seneye.com/store/seneye-reef.html

And I think someone said Hoppy at planted tank site makes them??

If you switch to dwarf sag make sure to add root tabs under them. Mine did well at first then slowed. I added the tabs and they picked up again :)

I originally started wanting a low tech planted tank and I was shooting for medium lighting and non-pressurized co2. I have all low light plants except I really liked the dhg carpet look and bought some and then discovered the extra care it needs to grow lush.

I plan on getting some
Red tiger lotus
Vasselnaria
Lugwigia
Will I have any problems with these I might get some hornwart to contrast the red lugwigia

I have a very similar set up, 4 t8 bulbs over my 45 gal and I was getting really poor growth and algae too. Then I dirted my tank and it's amazing the difference. My dwarf chain swords are sending out 3 runners a week, Same with my corkscrew Val, and the water wisteria is growing like a weed. Maybe consider upgrading the substrate? I think it would be a lot cheaper but it might not solve your problem. I wish you luck in your endeavour anyways!

Dude.. what's your deal?? Serioisly.. this passive aggressive caveman approach is starting to personally offend me.. i hate to ruin your day, week... year. They're in the process of phasing out t8 lighting.... :1987buickregalingnites: B is off to the hardware store....hornwort must live on!!!

Lol!! Love this post!!

If they do faze out t8's then how will he copy and paste his same reply to almost every question anyone could ever ask!!

Anyway directed at Mebbid...
Plants can suffer with too little light. They will start to break down and release nutrients, mainly ammonia. The algae thrives on these nutrients leaching from the plant and takes over. I believe this may of happened to your dhg.

I still stand by what i said. If you want a hairgrass carpet you will struggle with that lighting!! Decent lighting, pressurised co2 and ei ferts and you'll be able to grow anything

I should also add that the tank is only about a month old. I'm getting growth just not rapid growth my Anubis sent up leaves and my water wisteria is growing pretty fast just not verticaly.

Back
Top Bottom