Plants stretching need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
My plants in my tank are stretching, I have had a couple people say it's because of my light on the tank, one person is saying add a 48" t8 to the tank along side the Elive led(48"with 30 pods) , I don't have ac in my house so in the summer it gets pretty hot in here which is why I went with this led (big mistake) as it's more blue light not 6500, I have a few options, I can change the pods in my light to more red (would cost a lot), get a whole different light (waste of the 200 + dollars I have in this light) , or add a light to the tank to go with the Elive, here are a few pics of what I mean by stretching and not clustering and bushing out (cryptocoryne Wendtii reds are 6-9" tall)
Also I lost the bottom leaves on only the Ludwigia and I have to trim them every week)

Any help would be appreciated

Stretching plants https://imgur.com/a/SuMAF3D

Things do look very long.

Since you have blue lights to help light reach the substrate, you could opt for a light with mostly white and full spectrum. You can cut the stems off and replant every 1-1.5" between to allow for light to get down there (when you get a stronger light).

Your other plants seem to be far enough apart to get good light to the substrate, if you had better light.

You could supplement the present light with a couple daylight bulbs in the 6500K-7200K curly pig tail compact cfl, until you decide on a new light. Use a goose neck desk lamp or get a couple from Ikea or other inexpensive value/box store.

Finnex has a few nice options.

I'm looking at new lights but I honestly don't know how the transition will be from an overly costly Elive to a new light as far as affecting the plants, most of my light is blue spectrum even the whites are blue dominant, so I was looking at the beamswork Rosetta I think it's called as it's all red to go with my Elive but again I dont know, gonna be mad that I wasted so much money on this light for it to have to be replaced, that or replace 18 pods that are blue spectrum with 4500k whites and full suectrum pods which will cost as much as just getting a new light lol.

Do you have any recommendations on a light that's not gonna break the bank, with low light plants no co2 at 6500k I see so many but don't know which ones are worth the buy. Don't say kessil ??

I think a new light is the fix as my fixture uses 1 watt pods with 4 leads which is 0.25 watts per led

Beamswork DA-FSPEC would work really well, they are great for growing plants, 0.5w LEDs and a little warmer in colour compared to your current pods.

I'm looking at new lights but I honestly don't know how the transition will be from an overly costly Elive to a new light as far as affecting the plants, most of my light is blue spectrum even the whites are blue dominant, so I was looking at the beamswork Rosetta I think it's called as it's all red to go with my Elive but again I dont know, gonna be mad that I wasted so much money on this light for it to have to be replaced, that or replace 18 pods that are blue spectrum with 4500k whites and full suectrum pods which will cost as much as just getting a new light lol.

Do you have any recommendations on a light that's not gonna break the bank, with low light plants no co2 at 6500k I see so many but don't know which ones are worth the buy. Don't say kessil ??
My plants in my tank are stretching, I have had a couple people say it's because of my light on the tank, one person is saying add a 48" t8 to the tank along side the Elive led(48"with 30 pods) , I don't have ac in my house so in the summer it gets pretty hot in here which is why I went with this led (big mistake) as it's more blue light not 6500, I have a few options, I can change the pods in my light to more red (would cost a lot), get a whole different light (waste of the 200 + dollars I have in this light) , or add a light to the tank to go with the Elive, here are a few pics of what I mean by stretching and not clustering and bushing out (cryptocoryne Wendtii reds are 6-9" tall)
Also I lost the bottom leaves on only the Ludwigia and I have to trim them every week)

Any help would be appreciated

Stretching plants https://imgur.com/a/SuMAF3D
Phillips makes a T12 40 watt fluorescent plant grow tube for only $13.99 if you already have the 48 inch fixture. A 40 Watt tube would not burn hot @ bulbs.com

Phillips makes a T12 40 watt fluorescent plant grow tube for only $13.99 if you already have the 48 inch fixture. A 40 Watt tube would not burn hot @ bulbs.com
I don't have a fixture for them but my buddy has several but they are 4 bulb fixtures I would need a 1 bulb fixture I think as I don't want to hang a shop light in my house lol, the issue I have is this, every one of my pods is blue dominant which makes the plant stretch so I I dint think adding another light would compensate for the blues, but I'm new so I'm probably wrong as I really don't understand how lighting lighting works, I just know you need full spectrum at 5500-6500k so plants grow like they are supposed to I guess, heck I still don't know if that's accurate as Dennis wong has photos of plants grown in 10k and they look amazing.
Here's a picture of the pods I have and a picture of every pods spectrum, I would need to change about 8 of them I guess with hi Def color, infared, but then I wouldn't know what color spectrum I am working with as I don't have a meter also I dint know if I have the penetration.
Spectrum https://imgur.com/a/rxzbvft

I uploaded the wrong pod diagram here's mine with how many I have
My pods https://imgur.com/a/MreSddr

Beamswork DA-FSPEC would work really well, they are great for growing plants, 0.5w LEDs and a little warmer in colour compared to your current pods.
I was looking at those as well, the only issue is on a fb forum a guy tested them and they are not very strong in penetration which I guess is why my plants are stretching and not bushing, I honestly don't know i watched videos but they weren't for aquarium plants ??

I don't have a fixture for them but my buddy has several but they are 4 bulb fixtures I would need a 1 bulb fixture I think as I don't want to hang a shop light in my house lol, the issue I have is this, every one of my pods is blue dominant which makes the plant stretch so I I dint think adding another light would compensate for the blues, but I'm new so I'm probably wrong as I really don't understand how lighting lighting works, I just know you need full spectrum at 5500-6500k so plants grow like they are supposed to I guess, heck I still don't know if that's accurate as Dennis wong has photos of plants grown in 10k and they look amazing.
Here's a picture of the pods I have and a picture of every pods spectrum, I would need to change about 8 of them I guess with hi Def color, infared, but then I wouldn't know what color spectrum I am working with as I don't have a meter also I dint know if I have the penetration.
Spectrum https://imgur.com/a/rxzbvft
Yeah, I just looked at the spectrum chart. I don't use rea plants anylonger and recognized my color enhancement spectrum right away...don't like it, but O and the fish live with it.

To be honest I think your plants are growing very well. I do not see this "stretching".
My Wendtii reds are 6-9"tall they should be 4-5" and super bushy, also I have to trim Ludwigia every week where if I had more red it would make them grow more compact meaning they would grow more bushy and not as tall so quickly, I've also realized I have WAY too many Wendtii reds @ 7 lol

Yeah, I just looked at the spectrum chart. I don't use rea plants anylonger and recognized my color enhancement spectrum right away...don't like it, but O and the fish live with it.
I'll never go back to fake plants, yes real plants are a bit time and money consuming but well worth it, as you see with what pods I have, it's mostly all blue dominant and it would cost me about $45-$60.00 to change out pods such doesn't tell me if I have adequate penetration

My Wendtii reds are 6-9"tall they should be 4-5" and super bushy, also I have to trim Ludwigia every week where if I had more red it would make them grow more compact meaning they would grow more bushy and not as tall so quickly, I've also realized I have WAY too many Wendtii reds @ 7 lol

Crypt wendtii: up to 12" within 2 months. I'm not surprised yours is getting that big. They are not small plants.

Cryptocoryne wendtii - Tropica Aquarium Plants

Ludwigia is a fast growing stem plant, under my light (proper spectrum, 100+ PAR) they grow 2" per day. I'm not surprised you have to trim them so frequently. They are a fast growing stem plant after all. If you add more "warm" spectrum light, you'll make them grow even faster.... And the crypts will get even bigger.

Crypt wendtii: up to 12" within 2 months. I'm not surprised yours is getting that big. They are not small plants.

Cryptocoryne wendtii - Tropica Aquarium Plants

Ludwigia is a fast growing stem plant, under my light (proper spectrum, 100+ PAR) they grow 2" per day. I'm not surprised you have to trim them so frequently. They are a fast growing stem plant after all. If you add more "warm" spectrum light, you'll make them grow even faster.... And the crypts will get even bigger.
I want them to Bush put and get more full, I also lose the leaves on the bottom of my Ludwigia but only the Ludwigia, the money wart is a slow grower but it is producing 2_3 stems off the main stem at the substrate so idk, maybe the Ludwigia is to fast growing for my tank which is why I lose the bottom leaves? Maybe I need slower growing plants I have not a clue but here's scary I mean by bushy Wendtii reds
https://www.azgardens.com/wp-conten...ne-Wendtii-Red-Pot-Monster-Aquarium-Plant.jpg

Oh I wasn't suggesting fake plants. I was just pointing out the mistake I made by getting a color enhancement tube. It's almost all red spectrum and looks too red certain times of the day. Almost no blue in the spectrum at all. But I bought it so I'll use it. It makes my blond Angelfish look strangely orange sometimes.
I'll never go back to fake plants, yes real plants are a bit time and money consuming but well worth it, as you see with what pods I have, it's mostly all blue dominant and it would cost me about $45-$60.00 to change out pods such doesn't tell me if I have adequate penetration

I want them to Bush put and get more full, I also lose the leaves on the bottom of my Ludwigia but only the Ludwigia, the money wart is a slow grower but it is producing 2_3 stems off the main stem at the substrate so idk, maybe the Ludwigia is to fast growing for my tank which is why I lose the bottom leaves? Maybe I need slower growing plants I have not a clue but here's scary I mean by bushy Wendtii reds
https://www.azgardens.com/wp-conten...ne-Wendtii-Red-Pot-Monster-Aquarium-Plant.jpg
Beautiful specimen!

Oh I wasn't suggesting fake plants. I was just pointing out the mistake I made by getting a color enhancement tube. It's almost all red spectrum and looks too red certain times of the day. Almost no blue in the spectrum at all. But I bought it so I'll use it. It makes my blond Angelfish look strangely orange sometimes.
My fish look amazing under my light as i guess the lfs I got the light from lied to me about it being for plants, it's more for fish tbh, but hey can't go wrong with an orange fish lol jk

Back
Top Bottom