plants struggling to survive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started the tank about six months ago. it's 45 gallons with a Finnex planted+ 24/7 on the 24/7 automatic setting and no fish, no co2. I bought several plants: anubius, java fern, dwarf sword, narrow leaf anachris and a red plant that I think is nasea.

I had a diatom bloom for several months followed green algae bloom, both of which are now gone. The swords grew three new plants that I planted and the java fern grew some as well. These small plants grew roots but then stopped growing. The anachris is almost non-existent and the swords have started to turn yellow and dissolve. The only plant that is growing at all is the nasea.

Ferts are seachem potassium, phosphorus, nitrogen, excel and flourish.

Substrate is the eco-complete

I read that most of these are low light plants but the only one growing is the red nasea which I read is a high light plant.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 78
What level of intensity is the 24/7 at. How much and how often are you dosing? What is your filter turnover rated at?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the intensity is automatic so I'm not too sure. It fades in during the morning, with full intensity at noon and fades out in the evening. The pump is 200-250 gph. It's hard to find that info since it's an older Eheim. I dose the ferts once per week at 1/2-1 capful based on the instructions of the back of the bottles so I don't know the ppm concentration.

the intensity is automatic so I'm not too sure. It fades in during the morning, with full intensity at noon and fades out in the evening. The pump is 200-250 gph. It's hard to find that info since it's an older Eheim. I dose the ferts once per week at 1/2-1 capful based on the instructions of the back of the bottles so I don't know the ppm concentration.

Ok then I would suggest programming that light so that it remains at one intensity during the whole photoperiod say 8 hours at 30%

Then I would try upping ferts to 3x weekly and if that doesn't work it's time to start adding an additional source of carbon. Flourish excel will do the trick and you will notice a difference after less than a week.

thanks for your suggestions

I'm going to try the changes one at a time. i've read that that the led lights have lower light intensity so I put it at 100% for 10 hours and then went on vacation. The plants seem to be progressing the same as before. I'll try increasing the fertilizers next. Should I increase all of them or focus on one or some?

thanks for your suggestions

I'm going to try the changes one at a time. i've read that that the led lights have lower light intensity so I put it at 100% for 10 hours and then went on vacation. The plants seem to be progressing the same as before. I'll try increasing the fertilizers next. Should I increase all of them or focus on one or some?

Bring the light down from hundred to about 60% and leave it on for 8 hours. LED lights are manufactured to emit certain light intensities. They don't have less light intensity unless created that way. Too much light can cause problems.

Dose all nutrients, including excel if you can. Things should improve. Make sure your filters is pushing the water around to cover most areas of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom