Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2004, 08:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Plants turning yellow

Hi everyone,

I had started a new 26 gal tank about 5 weeks ago. The water seems to be cycled now. I've added a few of my old fish into the new tank about 2 weeks ago. The fish seem to be fine and I've had my water tested. The ph is 7.6, nitrate is 0, nitrite is 0, ammonia is 0, phosphate is 0.

I've added some cabombas, vals, a large sword, and some red strictas to start. They are now starting to turn a bit yellow. My lighting is about 2.1 watts per gallon.

Are my lights ok? Do I need to add fertilizer? If so, what kind? Am I missing something in the water treatment?

Thanks in advanced.

Old 08-12-2004, 09:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
yellowing is the sign of a nutrient deficiency caused by the lack of many things, but often it is a lack of nitrogen or iron.

read this, live it... http://www.rexgrigg.com/aa.htm#ferts

Old 08-12-2004, 10:35 PM   #3

what Burns said.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Nitrate 0 is an indication, but it can also mean low iron. I third the above suggestion
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you may not have enough light or co2 for the cabomba.

try a little trace mix and iron once a week to see if that doesn't help some (remember I said a little... start at a lower than suggested amount to avoid algae.) Iron is usually deficient in yellowing plants, but IME, i've found a general nutrient deficiency will do the same thing sometimes.

are all your plants yellowing? just a few? are they growing at all?
Old 08-13-2004, 11:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would only add that medge's suggestion to 'start at a lower than suggested amount to avoid algae' is a really good one.
You have a relatively low light level and you want to feed your plants an amount that they can absorb without having too much excess in the water table. As time goes on, and you learn your tank's needs, you can adjust upward if necessary.

Len

'Life Is Difficult' - M. Scott Peck
The Road Less Traveled
djlen3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com