Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Does look good - was surprised, I didnít think they would get back a good colour.
I as well

Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Well, long before I got back in to the game a guy named Tobi Coring (founder of aquarebel fertilisers) had ADA soils tested at a lab in Germany.

So if these results are correct, I also have confirmation

http://aquascaping.flowgrow.de/aquas...a-soil-analyse

**website may need google translation**

Thatís why ADA use Brighty K.

In the link Tobi recommends K is kept at 3ppm at all times. I calculated your dosing using Rotala butterfly and it would seem you are close to this assuming there is no build up. My thoughts are that if K was culprit then the plants are indeed using lots of K.

I notice when using EI things can turn sour after a while of good growth. It normally takes several 50% water changes using RO water to bring K levels to a readable level on my test kit (requires calibration) I donít know if high K is the reason for poor growth but in terrestrial plants High K can interfere with both calcium and magnesium uptake. Itís amazing just how quickly K can accumulate dosing potassium phosphate and potassium nitrate.

I wouldnít dose N or P unless plants are showing signs of deficiency.
Thanks for the link and yes I think we have enough evidence that potassium was missing and the other day I was watching YouTube and a guy who specializes in plants said plants use potassium so much. That's why some guys even dose daily.

On a side note I am highly impressed by Seachem products. I read there iron is best too which I experienced myself. I have a ludwigia ripen and since I started dosing Iron it gets very dark red. Almost look like an artificial plant.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #23
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Plants turning yellow. Please Help

I do run a high tech tank but potassium I have been dosing daily. No hygro left in tank now though and ferns have grown over swords (so canít see any problems ).
Old 12-08-2017, 11:50 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I do run a high tech tank but potassium I have been dosing daily. No hygro left in tank now though and ferns have grown over swords (so canít see any problems ).
Thanks. More evidence.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:50 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Hi Dela,

How much daily?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:04 AM   #26
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Hi Dela,

How much daily?

Looks like Iím dosing 5ppm daily off the calculator or thereabouts. And I think two days a week straight after water change and mid-week week I triple that.

Iíve been missing a few days being slack though.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #27
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Hi Dela,

How much daily?

Any thoughts on the latest info on dosing levels? I never quite know what latest thinking is.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:26 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plants turning yellow. Please Help

Quote:
Any thoughts on the latest info on dosing levels? I never quite know what latest thinking is.

Hi Dela.

My thoughts have been very mixed. For me that is partly because of the short lived success of EI dosing. You will get a response from most ferts but things seem to stagnate very quickly. Iíve been quite meticulous ensuring I have enough of everything and eventually things just seem to stop working. I donít think we are talking toxicity per se but perhaps some kind of interference. Iíve been speaking to a lot of different kinds of plant keepers and at the moment Iíve gone back to substrate fertilisation and decent fish, shrimp, snail stocking. Iím still trying to bring NPK down despite 3 x 50% RO water changes. Thatís assuming the test kits are accurate which I have my reservations about.

From all the information Iíve accrued over the years potassium dosing shouldnít need to go far beyond 4ppm. Iím focusing on getting my N and P from the fish and fish food and calcium magnesium and other micros are below the plants. Things are looking up for me. EI I donít think Iím going to be using this again.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:00 AM   #29
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks! I was just looking at tank today and thinking if I just went java fern, bolbitis fern, etc - these always look pretty happy. Was back thinking about discus and low dosing (well mainly discus).

Tags
plant, plants, yellow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com