Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2017, 01:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plants turning yellow. Please Help

Yesterday trimmed my plants and all plants are fine except the very dense hemianthus micranthemoides (Pearl Grass) wall I have on back. Leaves look dead from bottom but from top they are fine and growing so rapidly that its like they will touch my room ceiling. I need to trim them very quickly.

What could be the reason for them turning yellow and specially from bottom but top parts are fine and healthy and as I mentioned growing very good.

Is it like some iron or potassium deficiency? What can I do make them greener again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20171126-WA0016.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	305271

Name:	IMG-20171126-WA0015.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	305272

Name:	IMG-20171126-WA0014.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	305273

This big patch looks very yellow and dead but in pictures don't look very yellow but in reality more yellow looking. Please help.

Thanks

Old 11-27-2017, 05:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are a number of possibilities. Itís not quite as simple as narrowing it down to one specific nutrient.

Iím not quite sure what you are dosing or what the substrate is. If you are using ADA substrate you are likely experiencing a nitrogen deficiency or one of the other mobile macro elements. ADA focus quite heavily on adding potassium as part of the fert regime also which tells me that the substrate lacks potassium as many do.

It is unlikely to be iron as this is immobile and because the plant cannot move iron to the newer leaves deficiencies are more likely to be present in the newest leaves. Your new leaves are fine so id start off by looking at nitrogen or potassium first.

Because this tank was started on co2 gas, there may now be a carbon shortfall. Light and flow are other possibles as these are limited in thicker overgrown areas although I have seen cases on the contrary with healthy growth in all parts of the tank.

Go with NPK first and take it from there.

Old 11-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
There are a number of possibilities. Itís not quite as simple as narrowing it down to one specific nutrient.

Iím not quite sure what you are dosing or what the substrate is. If you are using ADA substrate you are likely experiencing a nitrogen deficiency or one of the other mobile macro elements. ADA focus quite heavily on adding potassium as part of the fert regime also which tells me that the substrate lacks potassium as many do.

It is unlikely to be iron as this is immobile and because the plant cannot move iron to the newer leaves deficiencies are more likely to be present in the newest leaves. Your new leaves are fine so id start off by looking at nitrogen or potassium first.

Because this tank was started on co2 gas, there may now be a carbon shortfall. Light and flow are other possibles as these are limited in thicker overgrown areas although I have seen cases on the contrary with healthy growth in all parts of the tank.

Go with NPK first and take it from there.
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. I am thinking its potassium since what I read is that its very very important for plants. I started dosing Seachem Potassium and Iron. I am thinking to dose potassium twice a week and iron once a week. I also will dose flourish comprehensive once a week. What you say if potassium twice a week is enough?
Old 11-28-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well K+ is just as important as any other nutrient. They all have a role to play. I believe yellowing of leaves is a symptom of K+ deficiency too along with, magnesium, nitrogen, and possibly manganese.

Either way you are going to Have to get those scissors out, trim off the healthy tops and uproot all the dead stems being careful to remove as many dead leaves as possible. You can then replant the healthy stems. The deficiency may disappear if there is less plant tissue to feed.

Uprooting will cloudy the water and release some unwanted elements in to the water column so I would always recommend a water change a day or two after work like this.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2017, 03:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
Well K+ is just as important as any other nutrient. They all have a role to play. I believe yellowing of leaves is a symptom of K+ deficiency too along with, magnesium, nitrogen, and possibly manganese.

Either way you are going to Have to get those scissors out, trim off the healthy tops and uproot all the dead stems being careful to remove as many dead leaves as possible. You can then replant the healthy stems. The deficiency may disappear if there is less plant tissue to feed.

Uprooting will cloudy the water and release some unwanted elements in to the water column so I would always recommend a water change a day or two after work like this.

Good luck
Thanks. I am avoiding N and P because according to what I read that plants don't require much N and P and Flourish comprehensive already have both included in it so I am mainly concentrating on potassium as plants need potassium more. I am dosing K every other day and will see how plants respond. Otherwise will re plant but I checked from bottom and top and they are fine. Only that particular patch. I may trim out that particular yellow patch too but first I will see for few days if potassium and iron and Flourish dosing helps or not. Also what I read is that hemianthus micranthemoides require co2 when planted to grow good but later it can be maintained with liquid carbon too.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plants turning yellow. Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Thanks. I am avoiding N and P because according to what I read that plants don't require much N and P and Flourish comprehensive already have both included in it so I am mainly concentrating on potassium as plants need potassium more. I am dosing K every other day and will see how plants respond. Otherwise will re plant but I checked from bottom and top and they are fine. Only that particular patch. I may trim out that particular yellow patch too but first I will see for few days if potassium and iron and Flourish dosing helps or not. Also what I read is that hemianthus micranthemoides require co2 when planted to grow good but later it can be maintained with liquid carbon too.

You are right to be concerned about a possible K+ deficiency, however, most scientific literature shows that plants require more N than both K and P with K being required in larger amounts than P.

All plant are different though and their uptake rates will vary. If you are using ADA it is unlikely to be a micronutrient deficiency. The soil is also well known to supply ample amounts of N for a good length of time before eventually slowing down so definitely donít discount N.

See how you get on with K+.

If it is just one patch and not the lower leaves on the entire back wall this could indicate a flow issue in that particular area.

As for HC, Iíve never had this plant but you may be right. People have grown it with low light and there are cases of growing it without any co2 at all. Excel will probably be fine.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Regular

Is there enough light getting to the lower leaves? Looks to me like they are just "too thick" and exhausted for light AND nutrients.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

lower level leafs in a densley planted area like yours will usually be devoid of light as well as water flow, Those leafs are older now so they were probably turning yelow and you exposed them with a trim.

The new growth looks lush and green then I would lean towards a combination of too dense and restricted water flow.

I would try growing some tops and replanting them and giving yourself some spaces in your back wall for light penetration and water flow..

As for nitrogen.. If you have a test kit I owuld test your nitrates and see where you are.. A decently planted aquarium should hold somewhere between 20 - 40 ppm in nitrates (subjective to light intensity as higher nitrates with lower light is less necessary, where higher light and lower nitrates would cause a deficiency). If you are seeing 5 - 10 ppm in nitrates a few days after a water change then nitrates might be low and a concern to look at.. Potassium is of course equally important , it doesn't hurt to ensure you have what you need as a little excess K doesn't seem cause much problems in a tank so a little extra shouoldn't hurt...
Funken_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks a lot for the detailed replies guys. Highly appreciated. I do have ADA Amazonia and tank is only like six months old so I believe my nitrogen levels will be ok. I will however check my Nitrates level today. I do have the kit buy maybe I am lazy. I think main problem is light as plants are very dense. However I noticed a little improvement today. I have been dosing Iron and Potassium every other day and Flourish comprehensive once a week as it also have necessary nutrients like phosphorus, nitrogen etc. I hope my experiment works. I will update this thread with new pictures if and when dead leaves revive
Old 11-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
ZxC
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed replies guys. Highly appreciated. I do have ADA Amazonia and tank is only like six months old so I believe my nitrogen levels will be ok. I will however check my Nitrates level today. I do have the kit buy maybe I am lazy. I think main problem is light as plants are very dense. However I noticed a little improvement today. I have been dosing Iron and Potassium every other day and Flourish comprehensive once a week as it also have necessary nutrients like phosphorus, nitrogen etc. I hope my experiment works. I will update this thread with new pictures if and when dead leaves revive
Even with all nutrient levels above plant needs, without enough light getting to lower leaves the plants will more than likely shed them. You'll notice roots from the stem where the plant shed leaves.

Tags
plant, plants, yellow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com