Plants with Goldies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afishoutofh2o

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just starting out and have a 10g with two small (1") fantails. I think I may end up with only one as one has dropsy (still eating & swimming so I am reservedly hopeful).

Anyway, I currently have two plastic plants and a resin ornament with a cave.

Ultimately I would like to substitute the plastic for live plants - but I hear that goldfish like to use plants as their personal salad bar.

Do any of you have suggestions &/or experience with live plants and young goldfish?

Thanks in advance! :) [/code]

Buy cheap, fast-growing plants like anacharis, duckweed, etc...the goldies are going to eat all the plants anyways, so you might as well have some that have a chance at keeping up to them, and aren't too expensive if they do not and you have to buy more.

I've got two goldies in my 29 gallon now. I've had anacharis in there for a few weeks (closer to 5 weeks I guess). They'll pick at it, but it doesn't seem that they're eating it. At any rate, it's growing fine with them.... so I'll agree with Toirtis' suggestions.

Hornwort, camboba, anachris/elodia, java ferns, and java moss will work fine. And whether or not the fish will eat any of these just depends on the individual fish. I've had goldfish that will eat my elodia and others in the same tank that won't touch it. However, if you give them zucchini about once a week, they tend to leave the plants alone, I find. But again, this is just my particular fish.

I happen to have a 30 gallon goldfish tank with a sword and enormous anubias as well as crap plants like elodia and hornwort. I also have something whose name I've completely forgotten, and my fish don't touch a single plant.

If you have any friends who have planted tanks, just take some of their plants and experiement :D.

Good luck.

On a side note, I split a clump of Java Moss into my goldie and guppy tanks, and the guppy tank is now infested with snails while the goldie tank is snail free. I did see them sucking at snail shells and picking at eggs, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this too.

I have heard that koi are notorious plant eaters, but not other types of goldies particularly the fancy breeds. I have only had experience with babie goldies so far, and as long as they are getting enough to eat, I don't think they'll eat plants.

bzbee said:
On a side note, I split a clump of Java Moss into my goldie and guppy tanks, and the guppy tank is now infested with snails while the goldie tank is snail free. I did see them sucking at snail shells and picking at eggs, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this too.

I got quite number of snails from my LFS and put 80% of it in my puffer tank and 20% in my Gold fish tank. Looks like when I removed gravel yesterday from my gold fish tank I found out all the emtry shells in the bottom. All of them sucked clean... crazy gold fish...

personally, my goldfish eat everything that goes in the tank, when I clean, they even try to pick at my hands! I have 3 regular feeder fish that are now 5 inches long each, plus two Shubunkins, 6 and 4 inches.

frenchpea2002 said:
personally, my goldfish eat everything that goes in the tank, when I clean, they even try to pick at my hands! I have 3 regular feeder fish that are now 5 inches long each, plus two Shubunkins, 6 and 4 inches.

My goldies pick at everything, but don't really eat plants. They love veggies and oranges and any type of food... They also pick at my hands while cleaning.

Thanks for all of your advice! This has given me some good ideas.

I loved reading about goldies eating oranges 8O & picking at your hands while cleaning. :lol:

Love those goldie personalities.

try anubias and onion plants. The leaves are thick and not to tasty. Maybe java fern also. Most will leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom