Platies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm still fairly new at planted aquariums but i've learned enough to get my plants growing and healthy. My main problem is my platies that keep nipping at my plants. They took one my Anachris plants apart with constant nipping. Any advice on how to keep my plants safe?

Fishkeeper92 said:
I'm still fairly new at planted aquariums but i've learned enough to get my plants growing and healthy. My main problem is my platies that keep nipping at my plants. They took one my Anachris plants apart with constant nipping. Any advice on how to keep my plants safe?

Welcome Aboard!

Sounds like you'll need to sacrifice some plant to save others. My Black Moors do the same thing to my plants, so I use Anacharis which they love to eat as border plants around plants that they just like to tear apart.

+1 for Mr. Limpet!

A lot of fish eat at plants. It is part of their natural diet. The only things I can think of is to check on the fish and change the types or quantities of plants you have. You might also check the compatibility (some fish dont like certain types of plants while they will devour others) - OR - a change of diet might help. If you use dried plant food (like the dried kelp you can get at your LFS) to feed the fish, it might deter them from your live plants somewhat, but it won't stop it completely.

I use the dried flake food for my regular feedings, a couple of algae wafers twice a week, and add some small pieces of the dried kelp about once a week or so. So far, I havent had a lot of problems with the fish eating my plants.

(I know this sounds like a lot of food, and it is, but I also have a bunch of otos and shrimp that love the algae wafers)

Good luck! :fish2:

Hmm through my experience. It's always best to plant Ur plants and allow them to establish their roots before introducing fishes. Takes about one to two weeks I believe. But yes I've read feeding more greens will help.

Back
Top Bottom