please can anyone ID this plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaz

Aquarium Advice Addict
this is growing outside on my front yard and I was wondering if this is something that could be use in aquascaping for a foreground lawn effect?

Definately looks like Hemianthus callitrichoides ”Cuba” to me. Very tiny leaves and a fast grower.

available from most places that sell tropica stuff.

It's growing on dry land?

I don't think there's much chance of it being an aquatic plant if that's the case... but it's wroth a shot I suppose. You certianly have nothing to lose.

I don't believe that placing terrestrial plants growing outdoors in an aquarium is a good idea. There could be various insects, larvae and worst of all, pesticides and other microscopic stuff on them that could wreck havoc in your tank.

how about trying an outsoor vendor of plants and flower to see if they carry it in pots and re-plant them from there would that be good?

where do the places that you guys buy them from get them? dont you think they get them from a source of dry land or a garden vendor?

I think you would be fine transplanting it, but I would first take the clump and rinse the root ball extremely well, then put it in a shallow pan, with the tops out of the water, for a week or two. Then move it to full submersion.

does it need to be inside the tank or can i first try it out submerg it without fish etc? or you guys are for sure it is the cuba?

I am purely going by the looks, It looks so close I would say yes..

Tropica grows all their plants hydroponic style. Emersed leaves with submersed roots. I think that would be a good starting point to test it. Then move to full submersion and keep an eye on it. see how it does.

ok I took three small areas of about 1 to 2 squar inch, i cleaned all the dirt out, I think put very little gravel in a gladwear placed the small plants on top and filled it with my tank water, water is not covering up the whole plant. I have my three side of my whole house covered with this.

Yes, certainly try emersed growth in a shallow container first. I'm with Jchillin, don't introduce possible outside agents into your tank before verifying that they are indeed capable of submersed growth and not contaminated with nasties (dragonfly larvae can be evil). Good luck and keep us posted :)

ok so the upodate on this plant is:
I put it in a glad wear with some gravel substrate, water only above the roots and this puppy is growing and attaching itself to the gravel, how long more to submers this guy all away and place it near my aquarium for actual effect with the same light source my tank is getting now.

No need to test with the aquariums lights, that can be done later.

If it's growing great now, then I would try submersing it now.. Hopefully the momentum of growing will carry underwater..

Back
Top Bottom