Please help id this plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MalawiMadness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I was wondering if someone out there can Id this plant. I've been told its duckweed. Each plant is about the size of a half dollar to a quarter.

Thanks,
larry

I hit the add attachment. How do I get the picture from my computer to this post? I'm such a putz with computers, lol.

After you hit add attachment click on browse and find the picture on your computer. It is easier to find it, if you put it on your desktop. Be sure the file type and size is ok.

Make sure the image size is reduced, Try 640x480 (You can use paint to reduce the size if you don't have any other software).. I think that's about right.

Looks like Amazon Frogbit - Limnobium laevigatum

There are many species of frogbit though, so depending on where you got it it might be some sub cultivar. A second guess would be Phyllanthus fluitans, but that is much less likely.

This stuff came as a few hitchhickers from some java moss that I purchased on ebay about a year ago. My tank is full of it and I end up throwing it away. Would like to sell some this stuff on ebay buy I don't remember what the seller called it and I have since lost the original email he sent me. Its alot larger than frogbit or duckweed. Each plant is the size of a half dollar to a quarter with some being larger.

It is hard to get a sense of scale in that picture. If it is the size you describe, then more likely Spirodela polyrrhiza or Phyllanthus fluitans. Though, as I mentioned, there are actually quite a few kinds of frogbit as well. The red roots are the key to this plant I think.

Is the surface of the leaf fuzzy? Is it like a cats tongue? Smooth?
Is the leaf very thin in cross section? or does it have some thickness, almost like a succulent?

I took a look on google and I don't think what I have is Phyllanthus fluitans. The hanging roots are a greenish brown color. The leaves are smooth and cuped shaped and are thin.
Closest plant I can find on google is giant duckweed but the leaves are a little different. I guess the search continues. Thanks for the help.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom