please help identify these plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Littlenilz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi peeps, I have a few plants that I can't identify. A beatiful fern like plant, the grass one and the one in the corner which I split into 3 plants when I bought it 2 weeks ago. The grass and fern one with nearly black stems I bought on Friday but it has some brown spots on the leaves so I'm getting worried, as it's do pretty. I bought a liquid feed for them on Friday and put it in Saturday, instructions said to feed once a week. Any ideas?
Lighting is 15w daylight spectrum. Tank is 12.5g

Sorry here are the pix.

Attachments

• image-2311594602.jpg
    image-2311594602.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image-2595154662.jpg
    image-2595154662.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1833890244.jpg
    image-1833890244.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 83
Omg, that's what I was afraid of but it was in lfs. For now will that harm my fish or the ecology in my tank. Tank has just cycled and fish look happy. Got them on Friday too.

They'll eventually rot, but no, it shouldn't do anything drastic immediately, but I would consider getting them out of there before they start breaking down in the water. I know with the dracaena if you can fasten them to the side with the tops sticking out of the water they will work out. :)

Ok but what a bummer. I like the look now however I'm going to another lfs at the weekend (the one I got the grass from) and I'll get more grass or something, hope the grass flourishes as I love the planted look. Looks natural for my fish. Yes I know I got a house in there but I'm a girl, so go figure!!! Lol 

Does this help?

Attachments

• image-3815491786.jpg
    image-3815491786.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 81
  • image-2382266061.jpg
    image-2382266061.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3936442094.jpg
    image-3936442094.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 75
You know what, i think it was. ffs, why are the lfs shops selling stuff that are not aquatic? Surely they knew I wasn't going to grow them in my garden!

some of the chain stores here do the same thing. The plants *might* stay alive for weeks or even months before they die off, maybe thats why they sell them, so you have to keep coming back. I think the other reason is because they are easily grown outside of water so simple enough to grow them and package them for sale as aquatic plants.

Several truly aquatic species are done this way (it's called emersed growth), but the difference is that when they are put into a tank they will revert back to their submerged form in time.

Thanks, I think lesson learnt. I'll investigate plants before I buy them in future, maybe I'll try the online sellers after researching the plant first. I am gutted as I want the plants to grow and spread but those won't 

Thanks, I think lesson learnt. I'll investigate plants before I buy them in future, maybe I'll try the online sellers after researching the plant first. I am gutted as I want the plants to grow and spread but those won't 

Here's a link to a great website for plants and it has a section on non-aquatic plants.

PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

My local Petco sells about 20 different plants for aquariums, the only one that'll survive in aquariums is Java Fern lol.

Thanks Mr Limpet but I live in the UK, London so I'll have to find something that will cost me less in postage, plus plants may not survive journey across the pond!!! Lol

Littlenilz said:
Thanks Mr Limpet but I live in the UK, London so I'll have to find something that will cost me less in postage, plus plants may not survive journey across the pond!!! Lol

Sorry, meant it has information on plants, not selling them.

Back
Top Bottom