Please ID this sword plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this a melon sword? Melon swords are supposed to have rhizomes but this plant just has roots coming out of the base of the stem. I have some Anubias Nana and Windelow java fern so I am familiar with typical rhizome appearance.

What kind of amazon sword is this?

Attachments

• 1407766440968.jpg
    1407766440968.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 88
Nobody has seen a sword plant that looks like this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nobody has seen a sword plant that looks like this?

Identifying a random sword can be difficult but a random sword plant that was grown emersed is a long shot indeed. You're probably going to have to grow it out a bit to get under water to get a positive ID on it. Either that or PM Jetajockey, he sells a lot of emersed plants.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. Makes perfect sense.

Looks like some ruby red melon swords to me. Sword plants are rosettes, they don't have rhizomes like anubias and ferns.

I can't tell if that dark coloration is healthy, it's hard to tell sometimes with these tissue culture packs. If it looks good in person though then it's probably all good. If it is a normal coloration then it's already in submersed growth form, which tends to happen in the high humidity environment of tissue culture.

Thanks so much for the replies Jetajockey and Mebbid. My first guess was also ruby melon sword. What threw me off is that every melon sword FAQ talks about a rhizome which I am not seeing. Thanks so much for clarifying!

Back
Top Bottom