please rate my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicmarn1

Aquarium Advice Regular
it was my FIRST properly planted tank, with dirt, low tech, only one T8 light 40", dirt substrate with gravel cap, threw in a few root tabs in month 2. im deliriously happy looking at it every day, but i want to get better and starting a new tank same size 55g. but i did have i think a bala shark, i have one of those only, uproot 3 of the red plants and a brown crypt wendtii :( so id like to replace those gaps any suggestions ideas comments? be gentle its my first time ! :D:fish2::D

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 136
the only thing I can suggest is let it grow, it will fill in with time. I'm not sure what you have planted in the back but I'd look for some tall plants to fill some of that space in. Otherwise I think it looks great and could be better with what I said above.

I agree. Nice looking tank, but needs to fill out a bit more. I also prefer backgrounds on tanks (painted or felt one solid color) to hide the wires and such. I think it would also make everything "pop" more.

Where you have gaps/holes in the foreground you could as something like Crypt Parva or Four leaf clover. Both will do fine in a low light tank. Otherwise I agree that you need to give the tank time to mature and fill in. Then address anything that needs attention.

I would bump up the lights. With the tons of nutrients from especially the dirt, and then the root tabs, your plants are going to need to photosynthisize all of it. In this case the plants do not have enough light (probably) to take in all of the nutrients. If you add more lighting, your plants will be able to really put all of those nutrients to good use. I do agree with the others though, let it grow out. So all in all, my advice is to add some lights and watch it grow!

Hey Guys, these are GREAT suggestions, thank you all so much ! i have dwarf sag in the foreground which should fill in the front a bit, though i love the idea of four leaf clover and crypt larva, River thanks ! love the crypts and you were right in the beginning, not one *melted* stupid bala shark is eating some plants though :( thats what the gaps are from i had a couple of nice reds and in the back i have jungle val, cabomba and swords that are kicking in, they should fill that nicely, though i had totally forgotten to put the backdrop on so thanks again ! doh. and i might add riccia fluitans on two of the rocks, far left and far right, to add contrast. its so freaking addicting hobby ! im ready to learn a tonne more and do more and more cant wait :)

Something to consider is if you upgrade to higher light you will have to start dosing either liquid carbon or CO2 and you will need to use dry ferts and dose PPS-Pro or El. Right now from what I can see in the pic's the plants look good so unless your willing to put a lot more work and time into the tank you might want to think about it. As long as you do weekly 50% WC's the nutrients leached from the soil won't build up.

eep ! thanks, id be willing to do that once i learn how to get the ones i have and a couple more very happy, without taking on so many new learning curves i screw it up so thanks for the heads up ! i do the water changes which are easy compared to discus daily changes :) much appreciated

Looks nice, agree with psychocircus about the wires. I painted the back of my tank black, also helps to keep out a lot of sunlight. A better light would also do you a lot of good. Once they fill in it will look nice. Perhaps a pathway of baby tears or dwarf hairgrass, just snow balling here

Looking good I'd give it a 5 for now

The reason for that is that it looks pretty empty let the plants grow then add a few colorful fish in and there you go

In a tank that size have you thought about adding a Red Tiger Lotus? Not only will it add a splash of color but it will add another dimension to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom