pleco in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew187

Aquarium Advice Regular
Are common plecos good for planted tanks? I have two in my 10 gallong tank and wanted to move them to my 55 gallon planted but I don't want them hitting plants round.

Well considering they get around 2 feet long, they arnt good for any tank under 125 gallons. But yes to answer your question i think they would be ok with your plants

Yeah i know they get that big but for now they are only about 3inch. Ill move them when they get bigger.

some bristle nose plecos may be better suited for your planted tank. they won't get big and may breed if you're lucky :)

Common plecos have a reputation both for being bulldozers and for eating plants. I would recommend a safe pleco species.

rubber lips and bristle nose are the two I know of that are ok for planted tanks. I'm sure there are more.

I think they look cooler than regular plecos too.

Ill look into them but the only ones my lps have are always just common pleco.

Most LFS will do special orders, and these plecos aren't hard to get a hold of.

Really the only lps is petco and they always tell me I have order them online and I perfer to see stuff before I buy it.

Ahh that's a bummer. I've never dealt with petco. Maybe you could take a short road trip depending on where you live. I have to drive 15 min.s to get to a good LFS and I have petsupermarket down the street.

Anyway, good luck!

Alkane said:
Most LFS will do special orders, and these plecos aren't hard to get a hold of.

Well from my own personal experience it was very very very hard trying to get a bristlenose pleco. I will admit, i was picky and wanted an albino one, but even then it took me months and i called or visited probably 15 lfs trying to find one, and i live in a big city where the closest lfs is 2 minutes away

Haven't had one personally, but from what I've read they are wood eaters and may not eat quite as much algae as a bristlenose. They stay small so yah much better than a common pleco.

Alkane said:
Haven't had one personally, but from what I've read they are wood eaters and may not eat quite as much algae as a bristlenose. They stay small so yah much better than a common pleco.

If you're buying a pleco to eat algae, you've already made a mistake in my book. Clowns are pretty awesome fish.

Yea commons are bulldozers. Clown plecos are small and love wood. They leave plants alone for the most part. I love my guy.

If you're buying a pleco to eat algae, you've already made a mistake in my book. Clowns are pretty awesome fish.

please explain why buying a pleco to aid in algae control is a mistake?

Any given pleco will only eat select varieties of algae, so if you are have a different sort, it will grow unchecked. Also, many pleco species are actually ominvores and they will eat algae when young and then quit eating. If you have an algae problem, its far easier to just take of it some other way besides adding a fish to do it.

Back
Top Bottom