PLECO wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey All,

I need suggestions for a pleco for my 20 gal planted tank. I need one that doesn't like algae all that much, that will remain small and that is unlikely to jump out of teh tank. I originally wanted a golden nugget until I read that they can be jumpers.

TIA!

I love my Rio Jari (L-316) pleco. He's a Hypancistrus (same genus as the famous Zebra pleco that is so outrageously expensive right now) and they are mainly carnivores. He will only get 3-4" long and he is not an algae eater or waste producer like most plecs. Here's the link where I got him: www.exoticfinds.net He was fairly expensive, but well worth it. The L-129 scribble pleco on there would be good too. Also a Hypancistrus. Those are a great genus of Loricarids since they are mainly carnivorous and are not huge poop factories.

I can't speak to jumping ability of a BN (bristlenose pleco), but my L-316 never comes anywhere near the top of my tank. He stays in or near his shipwreck in the day time and at night he stays on the gravel or on the glass near the bottom of the tank.

Queen Arabesque is a very nice Hypancistrus, but they get a little big for a 20 gallon tank. You need something a touch smaller. Is this a 20 tall or long? If it's a 20 long you might be okay with a Queen Arabesque.....it has the same footprint as my 29.

You might check Aquabid...they have them on there sometimes. That's how I found that website in the first place. I sure do love my little L-316. He's so tiny (3") it's hard to believe he's a pleco.

EDIT: I forgot to say...when I ordered him from exoticfinds, I ordered an L-129 Scribble Pleco. When I snapped a pic of him and posted him on planetcatfish.com they informed me that he was really and L-316 Rio Jari pleco. 8O Kind of strange, but oh well, I'll take it. I love him. The L-129 Scribble Pleco is also a very neat Hypancistrus that would work VERY well in your tank. Give that one a look too.

CrazyRed - do you have cories in with the Rio jari? I am getting Julii cories and read that Rios can be terriotorial against bottom dwellers.

Also - if I don't have a cave, but I have lots of plants and driftwood, will that be a problem?

I don't think so. I don't have cories, but my understanding is that the agression is directed towards other Loricarids. They shouldn't bother cories. My Rio Jari doesn't bother my hillstream loach.

Back
Top Bottom