Pls Help Me Identify this snail...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrism

Aquarium Advice Freak
He's living in a bucket at the mo as i don't want to put him in my tank as ive just got new plants and dont know what he's going to do to them!

It looks like a regular pond snail. How big is it and were did you get it? like did it come with plants you bought

it came out of a tank at the lfs, along with some malaysian trumpets i had. its about 6-7mm long. Will it eat my plants? can i just chuck him in my tank and forget about him?

chrism said:
it came out of a tank at the lfs, along with some malaysian trumpets i had. its about 6-7mm long. Will it eat my plants? can i just chuck him in my tank and forget about him?

Then it is likely a common pond snail...he will eat your plants, and will likely begin reproducing like mad, if he has not already.

pfew glad i didnt stick him in! nope he hasnt reproduced (well not to my knowledge) but then he is still in the bucket! haha

if you have clown, skunk, yoyo etc. loaches they'll eat the snails. some people breed these snails just for this purpose.. of and puffers.

Pond snails won't eat plants. And they will only reproduce rapidly if you overfeed and the snails eat a lot of food. I've had one in my planted tank for over 5 months. Just one. It doesn't get enough food to reproduce. They are good scavengers.

Really!? Does yours look like mine? its still in the bucket at the mo... i want to add him just dont want to loose my plants, which are struggling at the mo anyway!!

Ya it looks just like one I have. It just moves around my tank, then disappears for a while then it'll reappear every so often. Just don't overfeed and you won't have to worry about an army of snails in your tank. I have Giant hygro, an amazon sword plant, and ludwiga repens in my tank. The pond snails won't eat plants, but bigger snails like apples, pearls, mystery, and ramshorn snails will eat plants. There are always exceptions though.

ok excellent thanks, i think i'll stick him in then i dont have any of the plants you havem but hopefully he wont eat any of mine either :)

I have them in my tank and they don't eat the plants. Honestly I don't mind them in there, I don't know what the count is up to (they've been in there for over 6 months) but it really isn't that big of a deal. I've only had a problem when I accidentally vacuumed one up and it got stuck, now I just watch where I stick the nozzle in the gravel.

Lol. I have trapdoor snails in my tank so when I gravel vac I take them out so they don't get stuck in the tube.

hehe i'll watch out for that!! i've actually lost him in my tank now, saw him for the first hour or so then *poof* who said snails were slow lol

Back
Top Bottom