Point a noob in the right direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E-rock

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions. I have had multiple reef tanks and marine aquariums. But when it comes to fresh water I am noob. But I have a bunch of extra parts(meaning whole tank setups lying around lol). And I wanted to put it to good use. After searching the last few days with only scattered information. I was hoping Someone could point me in the right direction for beggings guide to keeping planted Aquarium or I have learned alot thought good build threads in the past any help is appreated thanks.

Mainly looking for recommendations on substrate, filter media, co2, plant types, fertilization, trimming? I would like to keep a set up with lower matience, not looking to go overboard with the plant load.

welcome to the planted side of things!
There is loads of options available.
Do you want to go high tech? (high light, ferts, co2)
or low tech (lower lights, no co2)
or somewhere in the middle?
there are also a bunch of specially made planted substrate you could look into. (Carib sea makes a bunch, i use eco-complete so does seachem, its called flourite). or you could use regular gravel or sand with some root tabs.
filter media would be pretty basic, carbon or purigen although some people are against using those. some sort of sponge or mesh or something to grow bacteria on.
for co2 there is a DIY way and pressurized.

trimming would come in handy when the plants start to grow bigger.
for plants, i would stick to the lower light plants. some easy ones to grow would be: Swords, Vals, Rotala, Crypts, Java fern, Java moss, anubias to name a few, what is your current set up? (Lighting, filter, tank size etc..)
hope htis helps, and good luck! :)

I plan on using a 20 gallon I have lying around. And a power compact light fixture I already have. The bulb in it isn't to old but it's a 50/50 bulb. Should I replace it with a lower kelvin bulb? As for co2 I am not apposed to it I just don't know enough about it yet. I would proably start off with a DIY setup.

you can use you bulb IMO for very low light/growing plants. you can replace it to better suit your plants but your tank will be dim and dark looking. if you like these plants are thats how far you want to go then you dont need co2. Since you want a planted tank i would suggest getting a substrate that is made to help out your plants, i use seachem flourite. If your trying to get a really nice planted tank then you can go with a co2 system, i dont suggest DIY i think they suck but that was my experience. A lot of people will tell you other wise, to his there own i guess. A co2 system simply gets carbon dioxide into your aquarium water, by the means of a pressurized tank, a regulator with a bubble counter, co2 line leading to a diffuser or reactor in lamest terms. 2 types you can get paintball or high tech this depends on how deep your pockets are lol. if you can afford it go with high tech, but there is nothing wrong with a paintball setup either. Now to filtration i say use a canister i love them they are sleek and better looking the HOB a 305 is what my 20 gal has. I have 4 bins biomax 1 bin 2 bins carbon. For fertilization i only use seachem tabs for root growing plants, and seachem liquid fert (you will need a liquid carbon if not using co2 seachem has some to)

hope it helps

i agree with new to the scene, but if you buy vals, you cannot use seachem flourish excel as it will kill the vals. +1 to getting a good substrate, it makes a huge difference. look into co2, i have a pressurized system on my tank and i like it a lot, way easier than a DIY, although i has success with a DIY system on a 10 gallon, but it is not necessary (remember, no co2 injection in nature)

have you looked into any plants you would like to have?

Not sure about what plants. But I seem to like the ones with broader leaves. And I am pretty excited... I got an awsome deal on a brand new fluval 305, at a fish auction. So now I have that. And recomendations on "broader leaved" plants?

Also i understand how some people just want as much green as possible. But it's just not what I want in this tank. I am looking for a "cleaner" look. So no duck weed or java moss (I think it's called)

Swords, crypts, some hygro, forms of java fern, and for a tall skinnier leave jungle Val. Those all have larger leaves so you can look into each, and they all have many different types, and pretty easy to grow.

Back
Top Bottom