Polyglutaraldehyde and Black Beard Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThievingSix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a problem with BBA in my tank. So I tried a product called no more black beard algae which has polyglutaraldehyde listed as the main chemical. After 2 days my tank started becoming cloudy, the fish were breathing rapidly at night and the next morning were breathing at the surface. I immediately did a large water change. The fish are now breathing are no longer surface breathing but the water is still relatively cloudy.

What happened?

A quick lot of water tests showed that ammonia was 0.5, nitrates was 5.0 and nitrites were 0. pH was 7.0. On a side note my plants appear a bit greener and i've got a lot of new growth coming through?

Could the dying BBA have overwhelmed my filter? Could the product be binding oxygen or producing CO2 at a rate faster than my plants can uptake? Should i be worried or is this a normal process?

Co2,did you do a general tank or spot dosing.
most use a syringe & apply it to visible BB.
sounds like you applied to much in any case.
the product will be a carbon source on its own just like excel, plus the carbon released by the dying algae.
reread directions or use 30% or so for next attack.
Dose Rate:

Initial dose 5ml per 50 liters and every two days 1ml per 40 liters for one to two weeks.
dose from web seller from label there were other warnings as well.

I agree with Goldguru. Sounds like you overdosed. I just "up" my metricide dose by 2 mL. SO I add a total of 5mL in my 29gal. Also, I spot treat with hydrogen peroxide (about 1-2 mL per spot).

I treated as per the manufacturer's instructions and dosed the entire tank at the rate you quoted. I just repeated the 1ml/40L dose yesterday and awoke to my fish again surface breathing. So i changed the water.

I'll definitely half the next dose. I've turned off my external CO2 tank and increased surface agitation to help with oxygenating the water.

I haven't read anything online of people having this issue. The instructions themselves don't even say water change are necessary. In any case the black beard algae has started turning red and dying.

most people who use Glut AND Pressurized Co2,already have their pressurized Co2 adjusted correctly.(no mention of that in 1st post)

they also DONT use a full tank dose while USING their Co2,they spot treat.

Your Bottled Co2 gassed your fish.

the Glut displaced a minor amount of O2, end total result low O2 in tank.

if you are going to treat full tank lower Co2 bubble count to 25% or less of current count.

Back
Top Bottom