Pond plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm have a horse and there is a pond where I board him. Never thought of it before, but I went to the waters edge and peeked in! Cool stuff!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512249.330933.jpg think I found dwarf hair grass! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512268.380637.jpg out of water in muddy ground. Could that happen? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512311.417711.jpg bigger bunch! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512326.530850.jpg even bigger bunch! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512353.622079.jpg underwater! So I was wondering if this is actually dwarf hair grass? It looks so much like it! If it

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry post got cut off! If it is dhg can I clean it and put it in my tank? Stuff is expensive!! It all looks really healthy and there is a ton of it!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512539.772127.jpg so much!! This was the plant I was most excited about!! But there is also a ton of duck weed! Does duck weed help anything or do any good? Can I take some and put it in my tank? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512641.009410.jpg lots of small new plants! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512682.216939.jpg what is this stuff? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512697.111274.jpg also what is this plant? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413512744.381598.jpg last one! What is this purple plant? You can see some of the hairgrass in this pic and the duck weed! What are all of these plants and can I put them in my tank if I clean them up? I'm allowed to take them (owner will let me) and I would love to save some money if I can! Let me know what you think!!

Sent from my iPhone

Awesome! Nice to have a patch of land (and water) to grow things.
You could try the DHG or DHG lookalike indoors but it may suffer from the light transition.
I would say no to bringing the duckweed inside.
I cannot ID the plants. Interestingly, many of the stem plants used in aquariums are marginal and can grow above the water line outdoors. Usually with a different morphology. I planted some dwarf sag in a pot of dirt and gravel last fall and this spring they multiplied like crazy and produced arial leaves with flowers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok! I have a 1 gallon test tank that I will put it in and see how it does! Just have to put a light on the tank.. It would save me so much money!! That's ok about the other plants didn't care about them as much.. Why no duckweed? And that's so cool!!

Sent from my iPhone

You can try the duckweed but it does grow rapidly. A simply dip with the net should thin it out if it becomes a problem.

Does duck weed do any good?

Sent from my iPhone

Not much other then growing super fast and making a mess. It's good to absorb excess nutrients which can help starve some algae issues you may encounter but that's about it.

If you can get your hands on frogbit or pennywort they do a similar job as the duckweed and grow super fast but don't make a mess

first few look like an eleocharis or schoenus, not hair grass, and will not survive any more than a week underwater if it is. the one after the suckers looks like tradescantia and is not aquatic at all and can poison some animals. the last one looks like persicaria, same family as Vietnamese mint and doesn't like aquariums even with leaves out the top - I've tried.
what part of the world are you in?

Not gunna do duckweed then! And ok.. The stuff is underwater and thriving there and there isn't much past the waters edge.. :| I will try it in a small tank

Sent from my iPhone

I think the sedge/eleocharis is a marginal plant that can spend time above and below the surface. I say go for it.

Ok! I can't remember how you spelled it and can't look now since I'm typing.. But something like elocharis lol I have no clue! But dwarf hair grass is that plant with an extra word added to the end! So they are related. Sorry for not know the names and spellings :/

Sent from my iPhone

Ok! I can't remember how you spelled it and can't look now since I'm typing.. But something like elocharis lol I have no clue! But dwarf hair grass is that plant with an extra word added to the end! So they are related. Sorry for not know the names and spellings :/

Sent from my iPhone

No apologies for not being a botanist. When I studied biology (I think a lot of folks wanted to be a biologist at some point it seems) my least favorite areas were plants and birds. Don't know why.
Anyhow, I think there are over 250+ species of Eleoarchis. So yes, you are correct.

Oh ok!! I'm just going to trial them in a little tank and if it goes well move them!

Sent from my iPhone

I think only eleocharis acuta and e. sphacelata can survive underwater but only if they can receive oxygen from sticking their heads out of the water. there may be others, but all eleocharis need to have their heads out of the water at least in order to survive long term, same with the majority of plants sold or classified as 'aquatic'. hair grass senesces as it culls and tries to regrow in a well maintained O2/CO2/fert tank.
not a botanist myself either, but have been involved in planting wetlands for 15 yrs so seen a lot of what works and what doesn't...
would love to be shown up on this to see plants I haven't been able to get to work in my tanks work in others'!

Back
Top Bottom