Pond snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I get rid of pond snails. I had them hitchhike as 1 and in a week I found 3 and now 5. I don't want them

ghost shrimp,crayfish,loaches.yes,ghost shrimp will eat snails(at least mine do)and so will crays and loaches.

The biggest way to cause a population explosion is to overfeed a tank. If you feed in the correct levels for your fish, the population should remain in check. A few snails are healthy, but they can become a real nuisance if they get out of control.

There are a few methods for removal... you can place a piece of lettuce or other veggie in a net over night. The snails will swarm on it so to speak, and you can just pull them out with the net in the morning.

You can also use assassin snails, as mentioned above. Depending on the size of your tank, zebra loaches and other loaches will quickly rid a tank of snails.

I don't think I overfeed my tank, and it was a hitchiker. I asked the lfs worker today what type of snail it could be and he said olive nerite? I also conveniently bought a crayfish that day. I will try the lettuce tonight.

Is it olive green? More likely it's brownish with a swirled shell and is a pond snail. Or could be ramshorn. I have never seen any of my shrimp or crays eat snails actually.

ive seen my ghost shrimp eat snails,and found chunks of snail shell in my tank,and the only thing in there strong enough to break the shells is my cray.

I think the crayfish killed em! I started to look for the things today and could only find like 1 baby. I know that could lead to more but at least they aren't overpopulating. Also on a sad note, the crayfish gobbled up one of my mollies. My 7 yr old sister told me she saw it. She said that the Molly was exploring a cave and... Wham! Its claw was around it's neck. My sister is scared and I can't find any remnants of the body.

He hasn't bothered anything else since the pleco slapped him with his tail. It was kinda funny but I had a net in my hand just in case ;)

Yeah I wouldn't keep anything in a community except a dwarf cray. By the time he's full size he'll likely wipe out your community. What kind of cray is it and what size tank is it?

maybe not,ive got one in a 20 and she hasnt killed anything.she only pinches fish when they try to steal her food.and shes not a dwarf.

Well I don't know what kind of cray you have. An electric blue for instance can easily get up to 10"..so to even try a community with one should be at least 55 gals. A 10" cray in a 20 gal tank with fish is going to hunt them or they are a rare exception. You gotta think that's like putting a cat in a bird cage.

I have had a cray in a cichlid tank. It was an electric blue, I loved it so much but I had to let it go because it would have been much too big for mollies. I bought a 3$ feeder cray and it was medium size. I didnt think it was fast enough to catch them and I think that I'm right about that because the last fish was trying to get himself in a cave not in the open.

im pretty shes an australian blue crayfish,at least thats what the pet store.and dont worry,once she gets to big i can move her to a 60.

I have had a cray in a cichlid tank. It was an electric blue, I loved it so much but I had to let it go because it would have been much too big for mollies. I bought a 3$ feeder cray and it was medium size. I didnt think it was fast enough to catch them and I think that I'm right about that because the last fish was trying to get himself in a cave not in the open.

Oh I've never seen cray for sale as feeders. Well all I can tell you is my 2" CPO's (dwarf cray) and my juvenile blue cray are the fastest aquatic creatures I own ;)

Haha I know, they are fast with that jet pack as a tail, but how could they eat something in reverse lol?

Back
Top Bottom