pond snails with plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfdrookie516

Aquarium Free - 2+ Years
soooooo....

i have pond snails. how, i dont know? Im assuming they came in on some plants i got at the lfs not long ago. At first, i thought they were just baby mts, but after looking at them closer, they look nothing like them. thanks to google images, i was able to id them. my question is, are they safe in a planted tank? There are literally thousands of them, and about 15-20 pods of eggs all over my plants and glass. I want them if theyre ok with plants, as i have no fish in one (just keep feedin flakes to keep the tank cycled) and only a zebra danio fry and rubber lipped pleco in the other. I know if i stop feeding, they'll dissapear, but if theyre ok with the plants, i dont want them gone. Any thoughts on them?

That's also happened to me in the past.
I still have two tanks with MTS.
Now when I buy plants, I dip them into Pottasium Permanganate
to kill any snails and eggs. I went to Walmart and bought some "Clear Water"
made by Jungle It is Pottasium Permanganate.

I just squirt a few drops in a pan of water, enough to make it purple/red in color.
Then dip the plant for a few seconds.
Be careful if you use it in your tank though. A massive kill of snails will cause an ammonia spike.
Over feeding will cause snails to prossper.
They don't bother my plants though.

Charles

I have pond snails in most of my tanks. I say most because I have fish that actually eat them, like my bettas. They don't eat healthy plants so that isn't something you will have to worry about. If you are set on getting rid of snails get an assassin snail or 2. I got some from mgamer for my friend he doesn't like snails.

I generally just leave the pond snails alone in my tanks. They don't over populate so long as you don't overfeed. PPl with fry tanks and shrimp tanks may find them a nuisance because of the amount they have to feed keeps the snails overpopulated. The snails don't bother my plants either.

ok, thats what i was hoping for. theyre not to the point of overpopulation... yet. i think ill try and suck up all the eggs i can, and may get an assasin snail, my main concern is the mts. i WANT them, but i think i remember mgamer saying that most mts wouldnt be bothered by assasins because they burrow and assasins dont? hmmm. i guess ill just wait and see how it turns out. as long as they dont bother my plants, ill be fine with them

The assasins won't kill all MTS, but they will keep the population down. I have a pile of MTS in my tanks, and they are out all night and half the morning. Ripe for picking for an assassin!
I like my MTS though, cause they eat all the poo lol.

i want the mts population to go up though, that is the main problem i have i guess. i dont necessarily want pond snails, but i do want mts. i may just try and get all my mts in one tank and throw a clown loach, assasin snails, something in the other to take care of the pond snails. decisions decisions...

Back
Top Bottom