pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryeseen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I saw someone use pool filter sand. Any thoughts on this? 50 lbs for less then $20

I used it for about a year before I switched to something else. I loaded it with root tabs and all my plants grew like crazy

Thanks I am looking to upgrade form a 10g to a 45 50g.. and want to find a cheep way to get of set up so for like 15 bucks for the 50lbs is right what I'm looking for. :)

Jc what did you switch to and why? Did you like the sand?

Jc what did you switch to and why? Did you like the sand?

I switched to the "aquadurt" substrate from aquariumplants.com It's supposed to be like fluorite and those other substrates so I wanted to try it out. I did like the sand though, I just wanted to try something else to see how well it works

Word
And is that working out better cuz I was thinking of organic potting soil too caped with the sand or rock or whatever.

$15 for 50lbs sounds slightly expensive. I purchase 50lbs of pool filter sand at Home Depot for no more than $6.

$15 for 50lbs sounds slightly expensive. I purchase 50lbs of pool filter sand at Home Depot for no more than $6.

More than likely from Home Depot you bought play sand which is a finer sand than pfs which means its lighter and will get sucked up easier during a pwc. I paid around $11 for my pfs. Depends on the area and how many homes have pools, where I live the average house has one.

Word
And is that working out better cuz I was thinking of organic potting soil too caped with the sand or rock or whatever.

I think the potting soil capped with sand will work out great. I just switched my substrate a few days ago so I think it may be too early to tell how good it is

I use pool filter sand in 3 tanks and it works great. It is heavy enough to not be sucked up during water changes or into your filters. The benefit is that all the fish poop and uneaten food stays on top of the sand unlike gravel where it falls in-between the cracks. During water changes just hover over the sand to pick up the waste and then stir up the sand a bit with your hand to release any built up gas pockets. The deeper the sand bed the more likely gas pockets will form. I also keep live plants in the sand, just add some root tabs and your good to go.

I used the quikrete pool filter sand in my tank and it works great. Just rinse it really well. I didn't get it rinsed well the first time and had to take it out and redo it. The tank wouldn't clear. I also have live plants.

Pool stores generally sell it for about $10/50lbs. Leslies pool supply was the cheapest I found it local to me. $9/50lb. Definitely one of my favorite substrates when I kept tanks. I'll not offer my opinion on dirt, just make sure you research it first (by people who have kept dirt tanks for a while!).

I got a 50 pound bag at home depot for 4.99 usd. It seemed to be pretty clean out of the bag. It only took about 10 to 15 mins for me to rinse it. The brand was Quik-crete.

Back
Top Bottom