Pool filter sand for a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem :) and if you get the dirt you will want to try and get as much of the wood chips out of it as you can. All they will do is rot in the water and leach tannins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the reminder! I read that someplace too and would have forgotten! Does "soil" vs "topsoil" matter?

No, you can use topsoil too. Just make sure that whatever you buy is organic which means it doesnt have any fertilizers already in it.

Ok sounds good. I know ribs is repetitive...but I know you can add things into the soil for ferts, but would you continue dosing things like micros/macros/trace during the week for the water column? Also does Excel do well with dirt?

Excels fine with dirt. I use metricide 14 instead of excel. Its a lot cheaper and twice the power of excel. Do a google on flourish excel alternatives.

As far as water column dosing goes it will depend on personal preference, what plants you have, and your tanks lighting/tech level.
I use pps pro on my tanks and really like it but is not as necessary when using dirt.

Ok thanks! (Again) ;)

Back
Top Bottom