Possible art gallery showing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fishkeeper88 said:
It would be a huge project and I don't know how I'd cycle the tanks.... any suggestions?

Couldn't u just run several filters on one large " cycled" tank and then just use them on your display tanks when ready?

Fishkeeper88 said:
It's possible but I was thinking just switch out filter media from an old tank to a new tank

Yeah u could do that depending on how many tanks u show and what u stock them with ... Lol but I'm pretty much a newbie still so hopefully someone will give u better advice soon

Either option would work, if your gonna switch the filter media don't do it all at once. unless your running multiple filters on the tank, then only change it from one.

These are planted aquascapes? Is there a reason you're cycling them?

roundar said:
These are planted aquascapes? Is there a reason you're cycling them?

Yeah I was wondering if u were adding fish.

I don't know anything about planted lol

As long as your only having the fish in there for a short period of time and not heavily stocking it you shouldn't have to worry about cycling. Plus no ones gonna wanna see filters and other equipment on the tank

I'm not sure if this helps but, when plants decay, they jumpstart the cycle. Therefore, if you put the plants in before anything else and leave them in for a week ( if you have that much time) then put the fish in, you should be fine. Youll pass the most dangerous ammonia part and go to the less dangerous nitrite or even nitrate peak.

On a side note, good luck!

I'm not sure if this helps but, when plants decay, they jumpstart the cycle. Therefore, if you put the plants in before anything else and leave them in for a week ( if you have that much time) then put the fish in, you should be fine. Youll pass the most dangerous ammonia part and go to the less dangerous nitrite or even nitrate peak.

On a side note, good luck!

It may jump start the cycle but it won't be enough to keep it going

The bacteria colony isn't some king of juggling act that has to get kickstarted and then maintained, it grows and shrinks based on what resources are available. I definitely agree that decaying plant matter definitely won't produce enough ammonia to make much of a difference, especially if these are display tanks, since any dead matter will be removed.

I think roundar's point was that a multitude of plants are going to utilize any nitrogenous waste produced by a light fish stocking, so some sort of 'pre-cycling' isn't necessary.

Here's some idea's for the showing:

1_4.jpg

1_5.jpg

1_18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom