Pot plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396758916.013728.jpg

Here we go I hope. It's potting mix (no added soil wetter), capped with fine laterite gravel (bought at lfs to weigh down soil/plants but a fine gravel would do just as well I think or I should be less slack and just hammer some driveway pebble laterite). I left some wool around the plants however that is pushing to the surface so been removing it each week - didn't work so well but on the plus side no plants have floated off.

The jars are just cheap cups. I saw some mesh jars for candles that might work better as the plant roots could grow down but I figure these cups should do for a bit. The cups are then hidden at back of tank behind fake caves/rock and driftwood. I was a little tight on space and could only find high, narrow cups.

Better than anything I've done before :) Even where getting eaten, they are still growing. I figure if I can get some more growing it should spread the load.

Lights at 8hrs daily in 3 blocks. I think that should go to 7.5.

I dose the liquid carbon daily (slightly higher than normal) and haven't really got ferts sorted out. I have seachem flourish for micro ferts and some ferts for putting in the gravel. Nitrates I have plenty of, phosphate I read causes algae so I'm wondering if I should try getting a bottle of seachem potassium as every so often see holes in the broad leaf plants. So still learning.

Better than anything I've done before :) Even where getting eaten, they are still growing. I figure if I can get some more growing it should spread the load.

Lights at 8hrs daily in 3 blocks. I think that should go to 7.5.

I dose the liquid carbon daily (slightly higher than normal) and haven't really got ferts sorted out. I have seachem flourish for micro ferts and some ferts for putting in the gravel. Nitrates I have plenty of, phosphate I read causes algae so I'm wondering if I should try getting a bottle of seachem potassium as every so often see holes in the broad leaf plants. So still learning.

Make sure one of the photoperiods is at least 4 hours for photosynthesis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks - I have 3.5hrs at night, 2.5 in middle of day (several filters turn off for a few hours) so I figure co2 might be higher(?) and 2hrs in morning - mainly to check tank. Also now dosing liquid c in morning not at night.

Algae has kind of settled down. Still all over milfoil but not on new plants or new growth. But not going away either. However the plants are still getting eaten so I'm thinking they might just get sacrificed anyway.

You need to coordinate light with CO2. Lights should come on before CO2 AFAIK. Run bubbles or anything that breaks water surface after CO2 is off.

So you need lights plus CO2 on for at least 4 hours.

It's liquid carbon though?

What's AFAIK can I ask?

I've looked at co2 injection as the next step but still researching.

It's liquid carbon though?

What's AFAIK can I ask?

I've looked at co2 injection as the next step but still researching.

Ah ok. I'd just add it after lights have been on for a bit and you know they'll be on for 4 hours. I think the liquid lasts for at least 24 ? hours. So timing not as vital.

But having lights on for at least one 4 hour stretch I know is good info.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Ah ok. I'd just add it after lights have been on for a bit and you know they'll be on for 4 hours. I think the liquid lasts for at least 24 ? hours. So timing not as vital.

But having lights on for at least one 4 hour stretch I know is good info.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

Ok thanks, I'll check the timers. I think it does last for 24hrs but not sure how it decays (pretty sure it doesn't evaporate, maybe it just breaks down).

Thanks on the AFAIK - thought I was missing on some sort of co2 brand. :)

Update - bought another 4 pots and took enough foxtail from the existing pots to hopefully get them started.

Same process but different potting mix. This time it is general potting mix whereas the first time was a potting mix for seedlings.

Hoping the cuttings will stay in the pot, not get eaten and grow up well. :) will see how it goes.

The existing foxtail is doing well still. Other plants so-so. The milfoil seems to have rooted but still has algae so I really think I need to drop lights to 7.5 hrs. All other new plants good so I might just sacrifice it to the mollies.

So it seems I really need a grow out tank. :( some cuttings have floated free (despite being wrapped in cotton wool although this time it is a lot better and no wool is showing and is well buried still). Some have been nibbled on and I guess I'll see what survives. The only trouble I can see is that replanting these pots will be a pain to keep the laterite on top.

I think I will bite the bullet and order a small proper led light for the QT rather than using a desk lamp.

And the darn mollies - which plants have they been going at? I really need a water proof electric fence in there.

Potted Aquarium Plants

Hi all, I'm looking for something I can try in planted pots in the aquarium (I don't want to redo the entire aquarium substrate which is fine gravel). Any recommendations? I think I have seen laterite or Eco complete at the lfs. I do have yo yo loaches that like to dig a little and decent filter flow if that helps.

Hello Del...

Miracle Gro organic potting soil topped with pea sized polished gravel works well. I used this to pot Cryptocoryne, Amazon sword and Onion plants. The organic potting stuff nourished the plants for several months. After that I just used a combination of hydroponics liquid ferts and whatever Seachem liquid was available at the pet store. Just dosed a capful of the ferts when I did a water change, like every two weeks.

B

Hello Del...

Miracle Gro organic potting soil topped with pea sized polished gravel works well. I used this to pot Cryptocoryne, Amazon sword and Onion plants. The organic potting stuff nourished the plants for several months. After that I just used a combination of hydroponics liquid ferts and whatever Seachem liquid was available at the pet store. Just dosed a capful of the ferts when I did a water change, like every two weeks.

B

Sounds good, I'll try that. We have pea gravel out the front now so I'll just nab some of that.

Got a reasonably cheap led light on order for the QT which is just going to be set up permanently so hopefully most of the time I can try growing them up there.

Got back from camping and the new planted pots were pretty well eaten or pulled free. Spent yesterday tackling the canister filter, pwc and re-potting them. Managed to use the existing potting mix mainly. Small LED light arrived so put them in the QT to see if they do better. Had some clay pots in there so just popped the replanted pots in there.

Edit - also got some seachem ferts to try.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398241241.284784.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom