Potassium Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Does anyone use a potassium test kit? I've got potassium dry ferts on order and thinking of getting one. There is a pretty cheap one that is +\- 15ppm and a more expensive one ( but buy able) at +\- 3ppm accuracy.

I've got no idea what I need to measure for and accuracy needed if anyone may know?

My second question is that I noticed there was potassium carbonate, potassium chloride, potassium sulphate and mono potassium phosphate dry ferts. I was thinking gee, I just want potassium.

I went for potassium carbonate but wondered if I should get potassium sulphate as well ? Wondered what others buy for potassium dry ferts??

I use potassium phosphate and potassium sulphate.

Im not 100% sure but i think potassium carbonate MAY play with your kH readings.

Im not aware of anyone that tests for potassium. Although i may be wrong on that. I let my plants tell me when my potassium levels need tweaking

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use potassium phosphate and potassium sulphate.

Im not 100% sure but i think potassium carbonate MAY play with your kH readings.

Im not aware of anyone that tests for potassium. Although i may be wrong on that. I let my plants tell me when my potassium levels need tweaking

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yes I think I stuffed up. I thought the k carbonate would be great as I tweak kh up. Since ordering I've started to suspect that the amount I will dose for k ferts will be more than a tweak.

I have pin prick holes so have picked up some API leaf zone with k and fe to tide me over but that also made me think I won't be a light doser with k.

Can I ask what you dose potassium at? I've been reading up on the pps pro dosing to try and get some idea but really just starting with dry ferts.

Done some more research and so far it looks like the commonly sold SW will read too high around 300 to 500 ppm whereas I'm more interested in around 20ppm I believe. LaMotte make one in that range that looks a bit complex but inquiring on price.

I believe potassium sulfate is the better source of potassium, from what I have read. Potassium phosphate is mainly to add phosphates.

Yes, just tested finally after adding DIY substrate ferts on Saturday and phosphates back up to 5ppm. Don't think I need anymore.

Nitrates lifted to 10 to 20ppm. Got an iron test kit coming which should be interesting to see what is going on there. Iron test kit was pretty cheap.

Also got the other lot of dry ferts arrive and no potassium nitrate that I ordered! Querying :(

Back
Top Bottom