Potted plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do you guys have potted plants in your tank, or directly planted on the substrate?

If you do have potted plants, what type of container did you use, and how do you care for them?

If you have pictures to share, I would really love to see them!

I had some for a while. But they didn't do well so I put them in the substrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Straight into the substrate is best as pots restrict the root growth. Pretty sure keeping them in pots would kill them over time

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Ok. Please forgive my ignorance as I ask these questions...... So do you depot the plants you get from the store before placing them in the substrate?

My store sells them in a thin plastic container, where the roots can come out of it. They told me just to stick them in the tank. I actually buried the pot a bit in the gravel. But I did not depot them.

I have seen people try to bury those little plastic strainer pot thingies but they are tall.

It is best to remove it. I use wire cutters to minimize root damage and cut it away a piece at a time. And then remove the rock wool as well.

I am currently using them only for my narrow leaf sword. The runners come out the top of the container allowing me to trim and plant them where I want them.

A lot of plants like micro sword grow too much algae if planted all in one spot.

Also keep into account the roots of many plant like lilies need to room to grow and the small pot they came in will restrict later growth.

Hum... looks like I will have to rethink the current tanks. But I'm about to start a 55 gallon in the next week or so. I should start this one correctly from the get go.

My track record with regular plants is not the best..... fingers crossed I don't mess this up in the 55... At least I can't mess up theirs watering schedule... ;)

Yea just give the pot a squeeze and pull out the plant and split the rock wool they will be in. Carefully remove it all of around the roots and plant them directly into the substrate. Make sure u have a good quality plant substrate like fluval soil or Eco complete. Root tabs are a good idea for big rooted plants. Place them close or under where then place will be :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

Ok. I am confused about something tho. Can I use the soil with the HOB filter (2 AquaClear 70)? Or would I be better if with fine gravel? (Have the filter, still researching substrate).

I'm assuming sand and soil are different things......

Sand: similar to a beach. For planted aquarium you want to use an inert variety like play sand, pool filter sand, or aquarium sand that says it doesn't effect ph.

Gravel: larger grain than sand but comes in large and small grain size. If having bottom dwelling fish, make sure it's smooth not sharp.

Dirt: This can range from certain garden soils to specialty aquatic soil. The main thing you want to avoid is any soil that contains inorganic fertilizers. These could potentially harm fish or inverts.

Flourite: iron rich clay substrate. Provides iron for long period of time.

In my experience dirted provides the fastest initial growth, but does not provide nutrients very long for medium/high light setups. It is also very messy to move plants or decor.

Sand or gravel alone will require root tabs from start to end; as they provide no nutrients for plants. Just a medium to anchor roots. Gravel is harder to clean but gives better medium for roots.

Flourite: provides iron for plants for a very long time. Is not always the best looking substrate. Also requires lots of rinsing before going in a tank.

Any of these substrates can be used with an hob.

Only filtration I would not do based on substrate is undergravel with sand or dirt.

Also can do combinations of above.
Sand/gravel on top of dirt etc.

Gemach7 - excellent explanation! Thank you!

I plan on ordering some Saechem Flourish.

My vision for the tank is to have the plants in the background be higher up than the front (as in elevated soil level, like a hill), with black substrate. And the front with white or cream, where caves and rocks, and small plants can form a nice design. I'm hoping I can pull this off.

I like to use potted plants.

3 great advantages:

1. Every 3 weeks I pour out of the pot, look for roots of rotten . If the gravel is washed lukewarm, nutrients are scarce, and the roots grow stronger. Rotted Roots no longer found.
Nutrients in the water are measured and supplemented

2. I can remove the deposits of phosphate and nitrate from the gravel. (I have the grip)

3. If I have to catch fish , I the pots take out the Tank.

102018-albums14463-picture69620.jpg

102018-albums14463-picture70554.jpg

Arthur75 - that's an interesting idea.

What do you guys use to create different substrate levels and "ravines"?

Is unsealed slate from Lowes/HomeDepot safe for fish?

Slate has very low water absorption and chemical inertness its perfectly fine for aquarium use.

Only caveat would be make sure in its prior use was never treated.

I went with North American pet zebra rock, and black and white gravel.

Back
Top Bottom