Potted vs unpotted plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FinsandFeathers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First, let me apologize for the plethora of questions I have in this forum. Usually, my wife makes me ask. Why she won't do it her self. . .
Anyway, she now wants to know how difficult it is to get unpotted plants to root, or should she concentrate on potted plants that already have roots? Excluding Java Fern, Anubias, etc, of course. Most of the plant sets, and many of the individual plants are only stems, unless you get them potted.
If we get stems, is there a root stimulator that's fish safe to help the plants get established quicker?
Thanks for your patience, and the great answers we've gotten thus far.

Buy whatever is cheaper, half the time the plants you buy are emmersed growth so it will die back anyway, regardless if they come from a pot or not.

No benifit of buying with roots really. Half the time I cut the roots way back anyway. Just plant stem plants on an angle or very deep to encourage it to stay put.

Would say either way as well. I’ve sold unpotted plants that were potted up while I was talking. Stem plants it doesn’t make much difference imo.

I usually look at the health of the leaves.

Back
Top Bottom