Potting soil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wouldn't do that. There are so many bacteria and microbial organisms on sand from the ocean. Too risky if you ask me. Just buy a cheap bag of play sand of pool filter sand.

Marconis said:
I wouldn't do that. There are so many bacteria and microbial organisms on sand from the ocean. Too risky if you ask me. Just buy a cheap bag of play sand of pool filter sand.

+1

Not to mention pollutants.

PFS $10 for 50Lbs and you know it's clean.

Anybody hear/know about Black PFS? Local Leslie's doesn't carry it, but that would be something I'd like to get ahold of.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Okay then that's what I'm gunna do

Potting soil with PFS over the top :)

Now I just need so save some money lol

+1

Not to mention pollutants.

PFS $10 for 50Lbs and you know it's clean.

Anybody hear/know about Black PFS? Local Leslie's doesn't carry it, but that would be something I'd like to get ahold of.

I doubt its made... after all, it is designed as a filter media.. 3m used to make colorquartz sand which was, from my understanding, about the same size as pfs... and was available in nearly any color you wanted. But... I'm pretty sure they stopped making it.

If you talk to mfdrookie...he has actually done it recently! I believe it is in his 125g planted tank :)

I used desert white play sand from home depot for $5 per 50# bag. Just wash it before you put itinerary the tank. I used a 5 gal bucket

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

I think you can use most any kind of sand, but rookie will know for sure.

I just rinsed out about 15lbs of PFS using an old pillow case and running our shower on it. Rinsed all kinds of fine dust out, it was quick and easy.

It is fine. But I like the look of it. Just have to be careful when moving stuff around. But it settles fast.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Play sand also is a bit too yellow for my liking...at least what I've bought from Home Depot. It's sooo cheap though. $6 for 100lbs!

For 20 dollars I got the potting soil, 30 grit silica sand, and supplies for the lights

I made little reflector hoods for the two CFL's and mounted them under the self, over the 10g

I lined the outside with sand and filled the middle with soil then covered the top

I'm gunna run it until Friday when I buy plantes then Ima take out the water and redo the sand and soil but this time put my plants in

Ima fill it with some old water and some new that way I still have nutrients from the old water

And does it help plants if there's carbon in the filter?

And what about biomedia?

Attachments

• image-1009131611.jpg
    image-1009131611.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 57
Carbon in filter is fine for plants! Plants need carbon (gas) it makes photosynthesis more efficient! But if you put carbon in your filter...you'll have to take it out if you ever have to medicate! Carbon renders medicine useless

Back
Top Bottom