Power Compacts - which Light to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2_Crazy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29gal (30x12x18) planted tank. I need to upgrade my lighting from the standard single 20W flourescent to a Power Compact. My 2 choices are:

1. The "All-Glass Compact Fluorescent Strip Light- 30" 55Watt (Black)"
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24075;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

or

2. The "Coralife Freshwater Aqualight Deluxe-Single 30" Strip"
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31566;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

Both lights are the same price.
Questions:
- I have an All Glass Aquarium brand 29gal Kit. Will either of these fit the existing hood?
- Will I require a CO2 system now that I have increased my wattage?
- Is there anything else I need to know before I buy this?

Thanks for your help

You are increasing your lighting but you are still under 2wpg so I'd say you don't need CO2 at this point.

I'll move this over to the Planted forum for more advice relating to wattage/Kelvin rating and how that relates to your plants.

Well, I am a fan of Coralife, but All-Glass is a well known brand too...I simply don't own any of their light fixtures.

Looks liek both come with a bulb suitable for growing plants.

You'll be at about 2wpg...so you have the option to use CO2. I personally would recommend at least some DIY CO2, as it's gonna give you fuller plant growth, and stunt algae growth.

Now, I'm guessing your current tank has a black plastic top, with a little window in it where the current light sits? If so, you'll need to replace that with a glass top. Just ask your LFS for a 29gallon glass 'versa-top'...just a hinged glass top with a handle.

Then, you'll also have the option to toss your existing 20watt light over the tank, with the 55w power compact fixture...but if you do that you MUST run CO2.
Just letting you know some upgrade options...for now you should stick with the 1 fixture while you learn the basics of plant care.

Well said, Malkore. Both fixtures work well though some say the reflector in the coralife isn't as good as it should be. I've seen both in action and its just a matter of personal preference.

I don't even see a reflector in the all-glass photo...maybe a white metal 'diffuser'..but not a very effective reflector.

I would agree the Coralife needs a wider opening for the bulb...they really cram it into a nice solid housing, but the gap is just narrower than it needs to be.

I think AHSupply.com kits are the best. If you had old strip lights, they have nice wide openings so the light can spread well with their reflectors. I've even seen a DIY with those kits, and vinyl rain gutters, flipped over and used to house the reflector.

Back
Top Bottom