powered or passive reactor and bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muddlehead

Aquarium Advice Regular
my new tank which i just got up and running is a standard 55 gal, i have eco substrate and i plan on going with a pressurized co2 system with 260 watts of light, im trying to keep cost down so should i get a powered reactor or would a passive reactor do?? i know the powered one would be more effecient but do i really need it?? and the fixture im going to get has four pc bulbs and i heard that the 6500 bulbs have a funny tint to them but i also know that they are the most effective for growing plants, so should i get 4 6500 bulbs or 2 6500 and 2 10k, im thinking 4 6500 but ive never really seen what tint they have and i know people have gone with the 50/50 approach because they like the color more, i plan on moderate to heavy planting with high to med light plants, thanks in advance

On a tank that large, I'd go powered for sure.

You can make a powered reactor for under $30... All's you really need is a power head and a clear container of some kind.
Check this out:

http://www.barrreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11

and

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

The second one deals more w/ DIY CO2, but has a nice powered reactor design with all parts called out near the bottom.

I built a weak version of these with a gatorade bottle, some filter floss, an air stone, and a cheap little internal filter, all stuff I had laying around. Works well for the parts I put into it.

The most important part of these is the PH... for a 55 get something decently powerful. The more h20 you can push throught that CO2 the higher your co2 numbers will be.

i like the gravel vac tube idea on the second link, now that i think about it there are a whole bunch of ways to build a reactor

Yup there's nothing mystical about it; bring water to the CO2 bubbles, and keep the CO2 from escaping before it dissolves....

Back
Top Bottom