Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwell1295

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking of adding a powerhead to help with water circulation/filtration. I also think some my fish would enjoy the addtional current it would provide, especially the otos and cories. I'm looking at a AC30 for my 30gal tank, which has Penguin 350 (w/2 bio-wheels) for filtration.

My question is how would this effect CO2 injection? Would the oxigenating properties of a powerhead have major effect on CO2 or is it negligible? Is there a certain way to position it so that effect is lessened?

Also, how efficient would a PH be if used as a CO2 reactor?

HOB are just fine with CO2 injection as long as you keep the water levels high enough to avoid aggitating the water too much. The BioWheels on the other hand should be avoided. They are excellant at gassing off the CO2 you've worked so hard to inject. If using pressurized CO2 you can compensate for the CO2 loss, but you'll go through your CO2 much faster.

maxwell1295 said:
Also, how efficient would a PH be if used as a CO2 reactor?

Not sure I understand this part.

Thinking pH there purrbox. Looks like he's asking about a PH.

The question looks to be: How efficient would a powerhead be if used as a CO2 reactor?

(And I'm not answering because I don't know. I just speak Acronym)

there are lots of models for powered reactors. i think GlenC made one out of a gravel vac and powerhead and it worked really really well. i cant quote him on that though lol. as long as the powerhead isnt casue bubbling effect on the water the co2 should remain in the tank. just position is level with the water surface and it will creat a nice flow on the top of the tank. that is alot of filtration for that size of tank aswell. u may want to down size your filtration if u want that powerhead or get a smaller powerhead. and also i think if u use the PH as a diffuser then u will loose the current it creates. HTH

Back
Top Bottom