Powerhead...? Co2...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soupy97

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone, I have a planted 40 gallon breeder with low light plants.

I added them only a couple days ago and I dont have any fish yet. They appear to be doing fine but it has only been a few days so it is hard to say.

Anyways, I have been thinking of adding more "hardware" to the tank to make sure it is all set for when I get the fish in there. I keep reading about powerheads and co2 but I am not sure if I should get either.

As for the powerhead, I have an eheim canister 2213 with the spraybar located on the side of the tank, with the intake on the opposite side. There is some movement in my tank, but I dont really know what is a good amount and what is not. I do have some film on the top of the water on the side opposite the spray bar. Will a powerhead be good for plants and should I get one?

As for Co2, the spraybar from my eheim produces a good amount of rippling on the surface of my water so I am afraid if I get some co2 I will lose it all from the surface agitation. I am also afraid that if I add co2 the plants will not be able to keep up and when I eventually get fish there will be no oxygen. That said, I know Co2 is great for plants. Should I get Co2?

Personally I would get a small powerhead to make sure there are no dead spots in the tank, place it the side opposite the spray bar.

You shouldnt get CO2 in a low light planted tank, they really dont need it. Just as you said, the low light plants wont "keep up" with all of it and it would probably nuke the fish..the fish will provide enough CO2. In a higher light tank tho, CO2 is most likely necessary...

Ok that makes sense about the co2. And I guess I'll get the powerhead then. Placing it on the opposite side of the spray bar would be next to my intake. Is this correct?

Ok that makes sense about the co2. And I guess I'll get the powerhead then. Placing it on the opposite side of the spray bar would be next to my intake. Is this correct?

Yes, that will work fine. You just want good circulation throughout the tank. For a good circulator, may I recommend the Hydor Nano 240. Great little powerhead- I have 2 in my 60 gallon that work awesome!

Ok thanks for the help. I'll look into that powerhead.

Back
Top Bottom