Powerhead for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticMike

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently set up a 29gallon heavily planted tank and am currently running an AquaClear 30 for filtration. It filters 150GPH and yet there doesn't seem to be much flow on over half or the tank.
There are a few dead spots so I am considering adding a powerhead to increase flow and remove all of the dead spots. I stock dwarf rainbowfish so this would also help simulate their natural habitat.

What are your thoughts on which powerheads would be suited for a tank of this size and or any other suggestions you have.

Thanks!

You can either add a second HOB or I use Hydro Koralia Nano 240gph pumps in my 220g to help with dead spots. You wouldn't need anything larger than that in a 29. Also if you move your HOB towards one end and use the PH on the other end pointed out and angled it should take care of any dead spots.

I was thinking the power head would be more beneficial for the fish in terms of directional flow. That way they could swim in the current. That being said which do you think is better i didn't even think of adding a second filter but i can defiantly see the benefits of that.

If you don't have many fish then the powerhead would be fine. But I always like extra filtration so it boils down to what you feel works best in your tank. I've put a HOB on each end of a tank before and the flow goes down towards the front of the glass and then kind of colides in the middle to change the direction of both flows.

Back
Top Bottom