PPS pro and excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khua

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought a PPS pro fertilizer pack from gla for my planted tank. I did some research and read about adding excel into the macro and micro solution to prevent mold and fungus from growing. Problem is I will be having jungle Val's in that tank and excel will melt them. Is there alternative for the excel that won't kill my vals? Thanks

The amount of excel is minimal considering only minute amounts will actually make it to the tank via the daily dosages.
Excel can be used with Vals but it needs to be started at a very low level and slowly increased.
Congrats on the ferts. I bought the PPS-Pro Kit over two years ago and I still have quite a bit left. Very economical and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I don't have to worry about the excel mixed in the solution melting my vals? I got tired of having to pay so much for liquid ferts that don't last that long.

So I don't have to worry about the excel mixed in the solution melting my vals? I got tired of having to pay so much for liquid ferts that don't last that long.

It will be fine. Let's imagine 25 mL of Excel in the 500 mL PPS Pro container. If my math is right, that's a 1:40 dilution. Next, you are only adding 1 mL of that dilution to 10 gallons of tank water.
Yes, super economical fertilizers.

It will be fine. Let's imagine 25 mL of Excel in the 500 mL PPS Pro container. If my math is right, that's a 1:40 dilution. Next, you are only adding 1 mL of that dilution to 10 gallons of tank water.
Yes, super economical fertilizers.

I didn't think of it that way. Thanks. I will be making some clay root tabs with the leftovers so it's a 2 in 1 deal.

Plus one on above. My vals are used to a fairly high dose now but when I started I was also adding a small amount of excel to the bottled ferts with no problems for plants.

Do I add this stuff everyday, every other day and is there a specific time of day I should dose?

Regarding PPS-Pro, there should be full instructions for preparation and dosing on the GLA site.
Basically after mixing the dry salts/ferts in the appropriate 0.5 L macro and micro bottles and letting them sit overnight, you dose 1 mL per every 10 gallons of tank water once a day. I don't think it matters what time of the day you do this. Keep up with your regular water change schedule whatever it may be.
I found this pic from two years ago of my PPS-Pro setup. The middle bottle is the nitrates only. Since the fish produce plenty of nitrates on their own, having them in a separate bottle allows me to dose as needed (which is pretty much only for my non-fish plant holding tank). The three plastic pipettes are for dosing the respective fertilizers.
AmQPH51.jpg

Back
Top Bottom