PPS Pro and TDS Target Range Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Huro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I currently considering going back to this system as it is becoming increasingly harder to use fert pellets with my carpet of HC, but I am leery because in the past it lead to disastrous results in my tanks due largely to my own ignorance of the calculations I'm sure. I am hoping someone here can shed some light on the subject and help me figure out where I went wrong.

I originally followed the instructions on my fert bottles provided by GLA which recommended 1ml of Macros and Micros per 10 gallons daily which only seemed to lead to multiple algae issues.

My first question is do I base this off 16g tank volume or 12g water volume ?, here are the equations I came across today but I am having difficulty understanding them.

For example, when your tap is 300 µS, one PPS-Pro daily fertilizer dose is 6µS. This one dose is 1 ppm of NO3. So to limit the NO3 to theoretical 15 ppm we need to make sure the conductivity reading is kept under (6 x 15) + 300 = 390 µS with water changes.

What is the PPS-Pro conductivity TDS target range?
Water change IF ( aquarium µS ) > ( tap + 100µS )
Example
Tap 300 µS + PPS-Pro 100 µS = 400 µS
If ( aquarium µS ) > 400 then water change

High light
PPS-Pro Solution #1, 2ml per 10 gallon or 40 L
PPS-Pro Solution #2, 4 drops per 10 gallon or 40 L
Water change 50% once a week
This limits water column nutrient levels to 28 ppm NO3, 2.8 ppm PO4, 36 ppm K, 2.8 ppm Mg, 0.28 ppm Fe(TE).
(1 ml = 20 drops)

Ok so currently my tap water has a TDS of 55 does this mean I would use the equation (6 x 28)+55 with a TDS target range of 223 Then water change?

If correct this would mean I would use the following for 12g water volume daily?
Solution 1 - 2.4ml
Solution 2 - 5 drops

My current TDS is 170

Any help shedding light on this subject would be extremely helpful, thank you.

Thanks flchamp89 I will send them a pm.....No not trying to keep fancy shrimp just looking for a way to keep plants healthy for example this month I wasn't able to sink as many fert pills as I would have liked because the HC is so thick I am afraid trying to punch a hole through will bring it up

Thanks flchamp89 I will send them a pm.....No not trying to keep fancy shrimp just looking for a way to keep plants healthy for example this month I wasn't able to sink as many fert pills as I would have liked because the HC is so thick I am afraid trying to punch a hole through will bring it up

Hey bud I'll chime in here, PPS pro takes a pretty lean approach to dosing. If your running medium light with high plant mass I'd be dosing to high light levels. Also I'd add a little extra K and a little extra phosphates to the solution aswell.

Remember excess nutrients will not have any negative effect on a tank. The last time u had dramas was most likely due to a lack of ferts. If your too lean algae will appear as your plants become weak and lacking. Dose recommended for high light and depending on your substrate I'd even scrap the micros all together.

I wouldn't worry to much about TDS readings to be honest. You know what your putting in so there is no need to test for it unless u want to know the fert uptake per day. Even then it's hard to determine. Just stick to your 50% weekly water change and u can't go wrong.

Due to soft water u may have to dose calcium and magnesium aswell. I have this issue myself.

I found that dosing micros to EI or PPS pro levels caused a toxicity issue and stopped plant growth and brang on algae. I no longer dose micros apart from iron and instead fertiliser micros through the roots with a soil substrate. Works a charm.

Soft water is a curse

What substrate?

Here's a calculator to help u. It gives u both EI target ranges and PPS pro target ranges.

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Dose magnesium and calcium to low-medium EI to buff your hardness abit. I dose mid range to have a TDS of around 250-300 (40 from the tap) I've found the balance is easier to find in harder water.

Sorry idk why I asked if you wanted to keep fancy shrimp totally wrong post my apologies

Hey bud I'll chime in here, PPS pro takes a pretty lean approach to dosing. If your running medium light with high plant mass I'd be dosing to high light levels. Also I'd add a little extra K and a little extra phosphates to the solution aswell.

Remember excess nutrients will not have any negative effect on a tank. The last time u had dramas was most likely due to a lack of ferts. If your too lean algae will appear as your plants become weak and lacking. Dose recommended for high light and depending on your substrate I'd even scrap the micros all together.

I wouldn't worry to much about TDS readings to be honest. You know what your putting in so there is no need to test for it unless u want to know the fert uptake per day. Even then it's hard to determine. Just stick to your 50% weekly water change and u can't go wrong.

Due to soft water u may have to dose calcium and magnesium aswell. I have this issue myself.

I found that dosing micros to EI or PPS pro levels caused a toxicity issue and stopped plant growth and brang on algae. I no longer dose micros apart from iron and instead fertiliser micros through the roots with a soil substrate. Works a charm.

Soft water is a curse

What substrate?

Here's a calculator to help u. It gives u both EI target ranges and PPS pro target ranges.

Dose magnesium and calcium to low-medium EI to buff your hardness abit. I dose mid range to have a TDS of around 250-300 (40 from the tap) I've found the balance is easier to find in harder water.
Very useful from Bert ?niiice!!!!!

Very useful from Bert [emoji3]niiice!!!!!

No worrys at all. I use EI so I only have limited knowledge on PPS pro but I do know the general info on it. Fresh2o has been using EI for years so he would also be the one to ask. I think he changed a few dosages to suit his needs

What substrate are u using?

Also are u using pressurised co2?

Hi Bert thanks for the response I use Eco-complete topped with ST international aquasoil and I currently use Aqua Fertz substrate pellets but the HC is causing an issue as far as sinking as many as I need to. I run High light, I will take your advise and scrap the micros

Soft water is a curse

What substrate?

I also dose .75ml of flourish daily I do not know if this is relevant just thought I would add it. Should I be dosing water volume instead of tank volume?

Yes I use pressurized co2

No worrys at all. I use EI so I only have limited knowledge on PPS pro but I do know the general info on it. Fresh2o has been using EI for years so he would also be the one to ask. I think he changed a few dosages to suit his needs

What substrate are u using?

Also are u using pressurised co2?

I also dose .75ml of flourish daily I do not know if this is relevant just thought I would add it. Should I be dosing water volume instead of tank volume?

I dose to tank volume. As I said excess nutrients is better than falling short ;)

I'm not familiar with ST substrate? Is it high in micro nutrients?

The biggest thing with high light is co2. You NEED that's 30ppm or algae goes crazy. Make sure that drop checker is lime for atleast 7 hours of the photo period.

Do you know how much par u have at substrate level?

I am not sure about the substrate as bag does not state and couldn't find info online in recent check, I keep drop checker to almost yellow for 8 hours a day, last time I checked par readings I believe I had it set close to 50 at 27% intensity.. Also my plants are no longer pearling not sure if this is relevant

I dose to tank volume. As I said excess nutrients is better than falling short ;)

I'm not familiar with ST substrate? Is it high in micro nutrients?

The biggest thing with high light is co2. You NEED that's 30ppm or algae goes crazy. Make sure that drop checker is lime for atleast 7 hours of the photo period.

Do you know how much par u have at substrate level?

Bert I tried using that link you gave me but I did not see an option for GLA macro solution should I enter each Macro nutrient separately?

Bert I tried using that link you gave me but I did not see an option for GLA macro solution should I enter each Macro nutrient separately?

Yes you have to select the compound then select PPS-pro for 'what am I dosing for'

Back
Top Bottom