Preparing driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImBettaThanCool

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the process for preparing driftwood again? This method works for any driftwood right? The boiling for 2 hours and then waterlogging for 1 day works for absolutely ANY piece of wood right? Because I have a very old piece of bark. I found it a couple years ago and it was left in one of my old jackets for a couple years. I have no idea where it has been but it has probably been in laundry a couple times. It also looks like a pine tree bark. Does anyone know of a method that I can use to prepare this wood for aquarium use?

Bark will eventually deteriorate I think.
Most driftwoods are barkless when you think about it...
IMO using bark could be like using peat moss?
I rinse my woods and don't soak or boil them.Sometimes boiling waterlogs the wood so much it leaches tannins faster then if introduced 'dry' and fish may have issue with it?

Hello Im...

Boiling softens the wood fibers and the piece won't hold together nearly as long. The water will dissolve a soft piece much faster than if you just rinse the piece and leave it out in the sun for a few hours to kill any bacteria. It's doubtful there's anything on an old piece of wood that would harm the fish.

B

The thing is, the piece of bark has been in my jackets pocket for a few years so I am pretty sure it has been in the washing machine a couple of times along with my jacket. It may have detergents or such on it and that could harm my fish. Also as said before, bark could maybe deteriorate underwater. Does it?

The thing is, the piece of bark has been in my jackets pocket for a few years so I am pretty sure it has been in the washing machine a couple of times along with my jacket. It may have detergents or such on it and that could harm my fish. Also as said before, bark could maybe deteriorate underwater. Does it?

Yea generally barks a no goer. It rots and youll find it will be a hot spot for BBA algae. That’s what I’ve found anyways especially from a soft wood tree like a pine

Back
Top Bottom