pressurized co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was thinking of getting pressurized co2. my question is can ui run the co2 with just a regulator,needle valve and a check valve and leave out the soleniod and reactor and buuble counter. im just trying to save money. o and my diffusion is a powerhead.

The selonoid will allow you to automate it, so that it comes on and goes off with your lights. Without that, you'll have to leave it on 24/7, which just wastes CO2. YOu can get a regulator with selonoid, bubble counter and needle valve for $78 on ebay. Search for the milwaukee MA957.

YOu can do diffusion with your powerhead whichever way you decide to go.

If you have a power head for diffusion, you are probably in good shape. You most likely will want to turn off the co2 at night and can do that with the valve. It may be a bit tough getting the flow right every day when you turn the co2 back on, but if you are just bubbling the co2 into the power head you can count your bubbles right there.

Give it a try and see how you like it. My guess is that you will be scraping the $80.00 to buy the reg, needle valve, bubble counter, and solenoid combo on ebay soon.

Enjoy!

k thanks ill check on ebay i was just trying to see if i could save money.but couldnt i just turn of the needle valve at night to stop the co2 then open it again in the morning? also do u kno where is a good place to get a 5lb bottle and how much it is? thanks.
edit: i checked out ebay and the one you pointed out with shipping it comes out to the same as it is in stores so i guess ill just buy it from big als. thanks though.

Yeah, you can use the needle valve to shut it off each night. You'll just have to adjust it each morning before the lights come on, and try to keep it at the right rate. Selonoids take the guess work out of the flow rate for you, but either way will work just fine.

CHeck your local welding shops, roberts oxygen, places like that for a tank. 5lb tank runs about $70 I believe

neilanh said:
Yeah, you can use the needle valve to shut it off each night. You'll just have to adjust it each morning before the lights come on, and try to keep it at the right rate. Selonoids take the guess work out of the flow rate for you, but either way will work just fine.

CHeck your local welding shops, roberts oxygen, places like that for a tank. 5lb tank runs about $70 I believe

I've also found out that CO2 tanks are used in home brewing so if you've got a brewing supply store locally it might be worth taking a look there too.

Back
Top Bottom