Pressurized Co2 Help! Stuck on Needle Valve!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zombie2k

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have my regulator connected to my 5lb co2 cylinder.

Now I figured the next step was to connect the needle valve except I have no idea how that's done! How do I do this? Every guide I've read seems to think this is a piece of cake and doesn't really elaborate.

This is my regulator: Draft Beer Co2 Regulator - Premium, Double Gauge | BeverageFactory.com

and This is my needle valve: Needle Valve For CO2 Regulator

How do I make this work??

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, if it makes a difference I don't have a solenoid.

Thats weird although I have a different model, I had a similar problem. I suggest checking your O-rings.

Is your valve a split?

what ever fitting is on the reg where the co2 comes out you have to take off and replace with that needle valve.The 3/8 outlet barb with shut off.

Well, we went to home depot and kind of mickey moused it with a few different fittings and a bit of gravel vac tubes and it works i think

Not 100% sure - but the gravel vac tube could pose a small problem. Silicon tubing is somewhat porous I think, and you could be losing some CO2 through it. Might not be enough to cause concern, but the system won't be 100% efficient.

It might be a little late now, but you should have been able to remove the red handled valve that hangs down in the pic and replace it with the needle valve. They both look like they're 1/8 inch pipe thread to me.

Post a pic of what you ended up with if you can.

Rick

It might be a little late now, but you should have been able to remove the red handled valve that hangs down in the pic and replace it with the needle valve. They both look like they're 1/8 inch pipe thread to me.

Post a pic of what you ended up with if you can.

Rick

Well me and another tried our darndest to remove it and it just wasn't happenning for us. Maybe we are just really weak ( I was holding the cylinder and he was holding the wrench). In any case what it basically is, is:

Cylinder --> Regulator --> some mini gravel vac tubing --> (and in no specific order because I can't remmember which is which) Pipe Bushing 3/8" X 1/4", Hose Barb Adapter 3/8" x 3/8", and coupling manchon 1/8" --> Needle Valve --> blue airline tubing --> diy 20z bubble counter --> airline tubing --> Eheim canister filter intake

You did just fine. It looks good.

Since the fitting wouldn't come out of the regulator, then "ya gotta do what ya gotta do", right?

With my setup I find it easier to adjust the pressure to change the bubble rate than to use the needle valve. I still use the needle valve to set the rate initially, then use the regulator to fine tune.

I think you'll be quite happy with your rig.

Rick

You said it Rick! Thanks a bunch for all of the replies guys! It was a long day but it looks like it's all gunna work :) I just hope there wont be too much gas leakage because of the tubing I used :p

In another, related, question; I don't see any bubbles flowing into the eheim filter intake.

When I was doing DIY Co2 every minute or so there would be a release of 6 or 7 large bubbles, but with this new system I see the bubbles go into the bubble counter but I do not see bubbles into the eheim intake.

Im using a 20oz bottle and vegetable oil as my bubble counter liquid

Did you check the seals on the bubble counter? My guess would be gas is escaping somewhere. You can "paint" soapy water onto the connections at the bubble counter to see if you have any leaks.

if you pick up a drop checker you dont even need a bubble counter less places to leak.

Now that a couple of days has past, can you give us a review on that regulator and your setup?

It seems like a very affordable regulator and I might be buying one in the near future.

The regulator seems to work just fine although my setup has been plagued by a lack of equipment and general knowhow in regards to these kinds of things.

I had a few leaks and ended up with an empty tank but since then I've patched it up and the setup has been working well since.

I have no complaints with the regulator!

Back
Top Bottom