Pressurized CO2 - multiple tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malkore

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't make the mistake I made, and disbelieve an online vendor's claim that the only way to run multiple tanks off 1 CO2 cylinder is with a manifold. They are telling you the honest truth.

Was trying to setup two 20gallon tanks off 1 pressurized system, using your basic 'T' connector for airline. All the CO2 would go to one tank. If I moved the bubble ladder down in the tank that got CO2, it'd stop, and the other tank would get CO2.

15 mins later it became obvious you just can't equalize the pressure by adjusting the depth of the ladders/diffusers. You honestly need a manifold coming right off the regulator, with a separate needle valve for each tank to be connected.

So now I get to wait another week to get the 3-way manifold I just ordered, so both tanks can be pressurized. Just wanted to share this with you all.

Thanks, Malkore - that is interesting because my husband was thinking the same thing you did. I'll keep this in mind whenever I get around to running multiple tanks.

I should've done it in the first place. even as I tried to balance them this morning, I thought to myself "you're using R/O water mixed with tap on only one of these two tanks...you're going to have different dKh"

I was mostly anxious to get the Milwaukee regulator because I'm not sure how long aquariumplants.com will have them for $59.

I know what you mean - that price is unreal, and they indicate it is for a limited time, but even though it has been the same for a while you know it can't last forever. I am tempted to get another one just to take advantage of the price, and hold it for later. My days of shaking up jugs of sugar water are over!

That's hilarious. I just got my three-way manifold on Thursday :lol: I have been running two tanks on one pressurized system with a T-valve. One goes to an external reactor on my 125G and the other goes to a glass diffuser in my 30G. The bad part is I've got a pH controller on my 125G, so the 30G only gets CO2 when the 125G needs it. I've adjusted my bubble rate and put a valve on the 125G line to throttle it and actually think I've got it fairly balanced, but I'm leaking CO2 like a sieve from the cheap plastic valves I've been using. I may invest in another needle valve/pH controller unit, but for now I think the manifold will give me a little more integrity :oops:

Hey Malkore, you should have just sent me a PM and I would have brought one down to you. I just added one to my basement tanks because I decided to add pressurized CO2 to another tank in my office.

I'm not going to adjust pricing on the website until I'm told too. :wink:

You may be able to do better, price-wise, but I bought this from Marcus Russo (Aquatic-Store.com) and it works great! can be used for up to 6 tanks, combination manifold/needle valve. I use it for 3 tanks, just keep the other 3 outlets closed. I had doubts that the built in needle valves would be precision-adjustable enough, but they are very precise. I have not changed the settings for 3 months now, and all 3 tanks have the level of CO2 I want.

6 way co2 splitter Manifold $ 58.99

Have more than one aquarium?
Now, you may use one CO2 Cylinder + one CO2 System for up to 6 individual aquariums!
This 6 way splitter is to be attached to the outlet of many CO2 Systems and there are 6 outlets with 6 individual Needle Valves for multiple aquariums and Kalkreaktors control.
This makes adjusting each tank individually a breeze.

http://www.aquatic-store.com/

His site is a pain to navigate, this product is under CO2 Accesories.

I actually picked up a 3-way from www.aquabotanic.com (under their store, CO2 stuff, then a link at the top to 'misc CO2 stuff'). it was $28.99, 3-way with needle valves. No bubble counters, but I'm using Hagen ladders in both tanks, so no need for separate counters. The 3rd valve may never get put to use, but it's nice to know it could be.

I will say the ones at www.aquariumplants.com look great, and would attach right to the regulator, where as mine will need a couple fittings to clear the solenoid. But it fit my needs best. I appreciate all these online vendors to choose from...just think of what it was like 10 years ago...let alone 20-30 years!

Corvus, What kind of regulator are you running? I have a Milwaukee all in one. Can that manifold work with the attached solenoid? Also, do you put both tank's lights on the same timer controling the solenoid? I was thinking of getting a second CO2 tank for a new 90 I'm setting up, partially because I was thinking of getting a pH controler for the new rig.

Doesn't one technically need a separate system if you have a pH controler on the CO2 Tank? I suppose you could just adjust the individual needle valve for the secondary tank to try to get the desired ppm, though it would seem to be a trial and error method. I guess you could do it conservatively so as not to overload the tank with dissolved CO2. TIA and any suggestions are much appreciated. bob

Technically, yes you'd need 2 separate systems if you wanted ultimate control over CO2 levels (via a pH controller) in each tank.

However if the water chemistry was the same (carbonate hardness) as well as similar filtration (so outgas'd CO2 levels were roughly the same), then a manifold on 1 system would pretty much work. CO2 levels won't be identical, but they should be similiar enough such that the tank not being controlled by the pH monitor wouldn't get excessive CO2 levels.

Just a followup, i pulled the regulator off the cylinder this morning, pulled the old needle valve/bubble counter off. Screwed in the new manifold...no additional pieces needed (I believe with a JBJ regulator, you need a 90 degree fitting and a connector piece)...and now both tanks are running pressurized, and the DIY from one of them is now on my 29g guppy tank.

Also a thanks to Darin (Captivereefs) for helping me trouble-shoot a Coralife 1x65 fixture that wouldn't light up properly. It was just a messed up bulb. Thankfully I keep a pair of 9325K bulbs on hand that a friend gave me because they were used, and too pink for his liking.

betowess said:
Corvus, What kind of regulator are you running? I have a Milwaukee all in one. Can that manifold work with the attached solenoid? Also, do you put both tank's lights on the same timer controling the solenoid? I was thinking of getting a second CO2 tank for a new 90 I'm setting up, partially because I was thinking of getting a pH controler for the new rig.

Bob, it's an Azoo regulator, from an all-in-one Co2 set-up from Drs. Foster&Smith (gift from wife, I wouldn't have bought it myself, but it works fine).
lg_14712_22666D.jpg

I didn't even try to attach the manifold directly to the regulator, it's attched via tubing. Mostly for my own convienience, I keep the manifold up behind my 20 long, and the Co2 tank/regulator under the tank. I did it for ease of adjustment gas delivery to each aquarium, but after a couple of days of fine-tuning, I haven't touched it for at least 3 months. The regulator, solenoid, and manifold/needle valve are all rock-steady. Terminal fittings are bubble counters/glass diffusers in all 3 tanks, pretty much as seen in pic.

Yes I have both tanks' lights timed the same as the Co2.

Malkore was 100% correct about separate aquaria and ph controllers, I don't see how you could do more than a single aquarium per co2 system.

Back
Top Bottom