Pressurized CO2 on two aquariums? With one tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustOneMore20

Algae Fighter
I'm sorry if this has been addressed before. I am planning a 38g high tech planted tank with pressurized CO2 and I would like to also have CO2 on my 29g. Is it possible to run the CO2 from one CO2 tank? What all would I need to do this? I am assuming I can use the one regulator/solenoid combo, but what else would I need to do this? Is it possible to use a 5lb bottle or would I possibly need a 10lb?

I haven't bought anything for the 38g yet, but I plan to in the next couple weeks. I plan on using a JBJ regulator/solenoid/bubble counter combo. Has anyone had problems with the JBJs?

Thanks...Sorry about all the many questions. ;)

Sure you can run it to both, but with the JBJ setup you will have to lose the bubble counter, because you would have to install a multiport manifold and a needle valve for each tank.

Here is a great thread that should help:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=86379

EDIT: I do have extra 3 port manifolds that I can send you, but you would have to make sure it would fit into the JBJ solenoid. I do not know the tread type on that solenoid. The manifold is 1/8 NPT. So all you would need is two needle valves.

Ok, I am understanding it a bit more now. So I guess it might be better to just buy a regulator/solenoid combo without the bubble counter, since I don't need it. Do I need 2 needle valves in all, or 3? (Since the manifold is 3-port, I'm guessing I'll need 3 needle valves?)

Do you suggest a certain type/brand of regulator? I really am not sure which type to buy, I am guessing they are all about the same.

A 3 port manifold would be great. I will keep that in mind and let you know if I need it. I also have plans for a high light 2.5g in my head, so I would like to have some CO2 for it as well. What brand solenoid did you have it on?

Thanks for the link....I'll read up on that thread. I knew there was a thread that talked about running CO2 to more than 1 tank, but I couldn't remember who's it was.

JustOneMore20 said:
Ok, I am understanding it a bit more now. So I guess it might be better to just buy a regulator/solenoid combo without the bubble counter, since I don't need it. Do I need 2 needle valves in all, or 3? (Since the manifold is 3-port, I'm guessing I'll need 3 needle valves?)

I have screw in 'plugs' in the ports that you do not use, therefore you would only need the needle valves for the tanks you are going to be running.

JustOneMore20 said:
Do you suggest a certain type/brand of regulator? I really am not sure which type to buy, I am guessing they are all about the same.

A lot of people purchase their setup from http://www.rexgrigg.com/sale.html . He is a little bit more expensive then the all-in-one type regulators, but his products are high quality.

JustOneMore20 said:
A 3 port manifold would be great. I will keep that in mind and let you know if I need it. I also have plans for a high light 2.5g in my head, so I would like to have some CO2 for it as well. What brand solenoid did you have it on?

It would only cost you shipping. I have no need for them. I run Clippard solenoids. The same setup that Rex sells.

JustOneMore20 said:
Thanks for the link....I'll read up on that thread. I knew there was a thread that talked about running CO2 to more than 1 tank, but I couldn't remember who's it was.

No problem.

Thanks for the links!

I am leaning towards a Rex Grigg regulator/solenoid combo. I have looked at them before, but now am more serious about getting his over the Milwaulkee or JBJ simply because of the quality of the parts he uses. I will still look at your thread An t-isag. :) I haven't made a decision yet though.

That is a cool splitter LWB. Does it work well for you? I had thought about just making some bubble counters, but if that would fit Rex Grigg's solenoid, then I might just get one. And that would take the place of a manifold, right?

JustOneMore20 said:
That is a cool splitter LWB. Does it work well for you? I had thought about just making some bubble counters, but if that would fit Rex Grigg's solenoid, then I might just get one. And that would take the place of a manifold, right?

If that does fit, I assume it would, then yes that will replace any manifold. It also has the bubbles counters and needle valves all in one. Rex's setup would be 1/2 the price, but like you said, you would have to come up with your own bubble counters.

Yes. It is actually a manifold with bubble counters and needle valves. They do work very well, yes. I have it on my Milwaukee regulator. I do have a leak on one, due to not being tightened enough. It's almost empty and needs refilling, so I'll fix it when I get it refilled.

One more question...if I am running the CO2 on the 29g and 38g, will a 5lb bottle be enough? Or should I just get a 10lb? Can anyone estimate how long a 5lb bottle might last on 2 tanks?

I'm trying to make me a list of what all I need. :) Hopefully I'll be able to buy some stuff soon.

Well that depends JustOneMore20. The more plants you have, the more CO2 they are going to consume. The higher the lighting, the more the plants are going to consume the CO2.

If you run a solenoid and turn it off during the night time, then that will make your CO2 last quite a bit longer then running it 24/7. Ect...

I would GUESS that a 5# bottle would last you around 6 months. Make sure you check for leaks!

EDIT: Check the price difference before you purchase the tank. If it is only 10 or 20 bucks, then I would go with the 10#. Just make sure you have room for it.

Thanks!

I have looked online at a few places that sell CO2 bottles, just checking them out. The differences between 5lb and 10lb online seem to be about $20. I have a list of about 4 welding places in the area though, so I'm gonna see what the going price is around here. My 38g is going to be high light and I'll be heavily planted, hopefully, so I am going to see what a 10lb will cost me.

I read An t-isag's thread and am now thinking about Milwaukee. They are a bit cheaper and if they are as good of quality as the more expensive ones, I believe I might go with one of them. I'll just have to remove the bubble counter and replace it with a manifold or the combo that LWB has. I'm trying to buy less expensive equipment, while not getting "cheap" stuff...I made me an Excel spreadsheet of everything I need, and wow...it really adds up (I need lighting too).

If no leak, a 5lb bottle on a 75G lasted 6 months. So on 2 tanks, you will probably look at 3 months or a little less. I would go with a 10lb myself if doing multiple planted tanks. Rule of thumb for me is 5lb per tank. So for 3 tanks, then a 15lb should last 6 months. 2 tanks, a 10lb should last 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom