Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Pressurized CO2 with Wet/Dry Sump.

Hi. Anyone ever have any success running a fw planted aquarium with a wet/dry sump filter and pressurized CO2? I am attempting it (I know, not the ideal setup) and looking for some advice. I am running a Red Sea 500 reactor in the sump at around 4 bps. The sump is air-tight and the aquarium (90 gallon) is covered with glass tops. I can't seem to get my CO2 level to raise. My PH has only dropped from 8.0 to 7.8 and my KH stays around 10. I've been running the CO2 for about 2 months. Any help, suggestions or conversation about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Is the inlet or outlet of the sump creating surface agitation in the tank or the sump? Is it an overflow?

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ziggy has a sump on his planted tank... Ziggy's Corner Planter

BTW, Welcome to AA

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yes, it is a AGA w/built in Megaflow. The outlet from the durso overflow tube does hit a dual spray bar that spreads water over a media tray, that water than drips over bio-balls, and than it flows into sump area which than gets returned via a Panworld 100px external pump. The return is then split into 3 loc-line diffusers that are below the water line of the aquarium. There is quite a bit of splashing when the water go's to the filter, but my sump is completely sealed with low-adhesive clear tape. Wouldn't any degassing in the sump area get regassed because the CO2 would have no where to go but in the water?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Wow, thanks for the link for Ziggy's tank! I just spent the last couple hours reading every post and admiring his pictures. I am gonna have to go back and click some of the links for other posts such as the DIY fertilizer dosing. I am glad that I have came across this site, but I must admit, it is a little intimidating because, well, some of you guys are really on top of your game. As for my CO2 problem, I think I will try turning the return pump down a little further and do a large water change. Hopefully that will help getting the CO2 level to rise. I was thinking that maybe I could run a T off of the CO2 outlet line and run a diffuser in the tank while leaving the reactor in the sump. Do you think this would help?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I think your problem is degassing. Running an overflow/sump/wet dry makes it difficult to get the co2 higher than equilibrium. There might be tape on the sump but I doubt it is 100% airtight. Adding an extra diffuser in the tank won't help if that is indeed the problem.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

+1 The splashing in the wet-dry off-gases your CO2.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the replies! Do you guys have any ideas how to possibly make it work without using a different filter configuration? I know it will never be effecicient with a wet/dry, but do you think I could use a different media other than bio-balls to lessen the off gassing?
Old 03-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Raising the water level in the wet-dry would help, but you'd be removing much of the air-water interface that supports huge numbers of bacteria.
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

CO2+overflows a/o wet dry setups is really a difficult proposition.

You may get a little more diffusion if you actually put in a diffuser in the tank (like a ceramic/glass diffuser), but you are still going to be offgasing a lot of CO2.

Tags
co2, dry, sump, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com