problem solving-Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shsean

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi, i am planing to occupied my 8g tank with java moss and one question comes straight to my mind. I wonder if these java mosses can survive in the concentrated water(water will becomes concentrated from the accumulation of fishes's waste products, food and etc) . From what i know water will diffusses out from the java moss and eventually die( as the cell becomes plasmolysed), SO i would like to know is there any solution to overcome this problem?? THanks for the replies.

shsean said:
hi, i am planing to occupied my 8g tank with java moss and one question comes straight to my mind. I wonder if these java mosses can survive in the concentrated water(water will becomes concentrated from the accumulation of fishes's waste products, food and etc) . From what i know water will diffusses out from the java moss and eventually die( as the cell becomes plasmolysed), SO i would like to know is there any solution to overcome this problem?? THanks for the replies.
weekly water changes and a good filter

Is this a brackish tank? High salt levels will indeed cause plasmolysis of plant cells and that is one reason why only certain plant species can be used in these setups. If you just mean can the plant survive in water that fish waste has accumulated in, the answer is definately yes.

The plants love cruddy nutrient rich water (so does algae), but your fish (if there are fish) do not. Weekly PWC's are the best way to keep both your fish and your plants happy.

Yeah mine is the brackish tank? Btw what do u mean by PWC??

shsean said:
what do u mean by PWC??
partial water change..most people around here (especially those with plants) recommend a 30-50% water change once a week

Back
Top Bottom