Problem with my Vals stunted growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paradise fish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I had some problems with my Corkscrew Val my whole hobby and was wondering why they have such a hard time growing. I have several of them, all of them under six inches.
Which is the problem, low temperature or low nitrates?

I tried to find out the problem for a long time why this plant, commonly known to be a easy beginner plant, had such a hard time in my tank. I even dosed CO2 (not much because I heard that vals don't like them as much), fertilizers (potassium, magnesium, phosphates, nitrogen, and trace minerals), gave it a great substrate, and high lighting. So I gave both a low tech care and high tech care, with not much progress.

I came up with two possible and most likely reasons: low temperature or low nitrates. I heard that vals are normally kept in a heated tank. I don't have a heater as I specialize in subtropical aquarium fish. For that reason, my tank usually stabilize around 66F to 72F. But still, I heard that vals can still do fine in these temperatures, so I don't think it's the reason.
I also heard that stunted growth in vals come from low nitrates. As my tank is very heavily planted with hardy and/or fast growing plants, my nitrate levels are always at 0 ppm, even though I'm technically over stocked. Yet I thought the fertilizers, soil, and ammonia produced by the fish would be more than enough to compensate, so I didn't think it's the reason either.

Has any of you had success with vals in lower temperatures?

I've had trouble with these even though I can grow the other types of val (possibly these were not a good size to start with). I have had the val's melt initially with liquid carbon and then come back (probably also needs to be well established I'd suspect so it can recover).

Back
Top Bottom