Problem with snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsusbmw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have had a problem with cone shaped snail in my tank. The are blocking the holes that push out the water into my tank. I have a built in wet/dry filter. They get stuck inside the pump and decreases the water flow.
I have had clown loaches and they helped for a while, but died all of a sudden. I dont know why. But I need a faster solution as they multiply very fast.

Jesus

Reduce feeding and increase gravel cleaning. Snails won't reproduce without a food source.

I would stick with the clown Loaches, or get some Yo-yo loaches. because I have tired the chemicals, but for me they didn't work. How many gallons is your tank? Also they eat the eggs of the snails. so you wont have to worry about your fish.

I have a 100g tank. Yoyo loaches where would I get them?

You don't stop feeding, you simply reduce it to limit snail populations.

I wouldn't buy fish to fight a problem unless you like those fish. It sounds like you've got an MTS problem. Assassin snails are terrific at controlling MTS.

BigJim said:

I wouldn't buy fish to fight a problem unless you like those fish. It sounds like you've got an MTS problem. Assassin snails are terrific at controlling MTS.

I am sorry but what is MTS? would you know where I could buy assassin snails.

For how long? Won't my fish starve?

Yup.

We generally feed fish much more than needed. Once a day or every other day is fine for the vast majority of fish. The only fish that really need the 2+ times a day feedings are fry and some specialized fish.

In this case, MTS = Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

If your LFS doesn't carry assassin snails, pm dkpate here on AA. She had some assassins for sale recently.

She still has about 35 snails available. I was told thatcher would not kill the snails that were inside the filter. They told me that I would basically start fresh. Get the gravel out and wash it with bleach and hot water.

Freshwater dwarf puffer fish will eat your snails.. Snails usually come from overfeeding- we are already starting to see some of our own emerging so we have also been trying find a good solution. Puffers aren't as friendly so depends on what type of fish you have already

Clown loaches, reduced feeding, leave a potato out overnight under and overturned saucer and it will be covered with snails if you want to try manual removal...

Back
Top Bottom