Problems with HC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like the Finnex epoch clip light? If so, you're not supposed to run more than 24 watts through that fixture. Could be your problem, along with the rescape, along with many other things because we don't know your params... lol

Yeah it is the epoch clip light. Oh! I didn't know. Oops. Haha..I guess I'll get a test kit then. Is it worth it to upgrade lighting?

Ok, we'll thank you so much for your help! I'll see how it goes in a couple weeks, and replan from there. I only got my pressurized set up this past weekend, too.

Sorry for not specifying...I mean in general. Tank size?

It's a 40 gallon breeder with Eco complete and anubias, java ferns, amazon sword, Hygrophila angustifolia, micro sword, and HC of course. For stock, platties (fire red and sunsets), neons, clown loaches, rainbow shark, GBR pair, Corys, and have a bunch of gold rams coming tomorrow. This is pre- co2

Attachments

• image-2741716294.jpg
    image-2741716294.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 49
Hey Bill, I was wondering if I got one if the dome style reptile lights could I squeeze more par out of the bulb since it is a circular reflector? I could suspend it directly above the tank.

Well, from what I have learned, spiral CFLs are better off as you said mounted vertically in a cone style fixture. It's not the most attractive as far as looks, but it would increase your light a bit. If you're gonna do that, don't bother with the reptile light, go to Home Depot and get a clip on shop light, they're like 5 bucks. I'd wait until you get your drop checker, and give the HC a little more time before you make any changes. Honestly you should be able to get it to spread with a 24 watt bulb... It might not be extremely compact, but it should spread. You can try painting the inside part of the reflector white to reflect some more light. I was gonna do that with my epoch light, just haven't got around to it yet.

Bill- I believe I found the cause of my diatoms. Three weeks ago when I rescaped the tank I added some rock. I wanted to get some Yamaya stone, but being fifteen and walking dogs for money to support this endless hobby, I didn't want to shell out 40$ for rock. I went on an adventure and found some nice looking rock. Out of ignorance, I put it in the tank not thinking sandstone could effect anything. Then it clicked today- Sand is high in silicates. If I recall correctly, silicates can cause diatoms? I think I found the problem. Also, pretty sure I need a new light. I'm getting some hair algae. I have co2 and fertilizing good so the only thing left inhibiting the growth of the plants must be the light. Correct? None of the plants are truly flourishing.

Back
Top Bottom