Problems with HC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
I first planted my HC about 3 weeks ago. It is spreading but extremely slow. It's quite frustrating. Just looking for some advice.

Specs:

5.5g
Floramax
UP Aqua Reg to paintball can at 2bps
40w 6500 spiral CFL about 12 inches from substrate
EI Dosing

All of my others plants are doing great. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the response! Especially from you. I followed your 12g long build every step of the way. Yeah, I planted it like that. I'll just wait and see then.

Haha welcome! Yeah it puts out new green leaves everyday...just not spreading yet.

Ok- got it! Haha. The light shouldn't be my problem. It's really bright and the new growth on the cardinals is a nice deep red.

Attachments

• image-941647656.jpg
    image-941647656.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 101
  • image-5678082.jpg
    image-5678082.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 105
  • image-216694245.jpg
    image-216694245.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image-137112397.jpg
    image-137112397.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 88
It looks good! I really like the scape! I hope you can get the HC to fill in, don't know if its the pics but it looks a little yellow. It also looks like you could separate it out a little more, and get some more coverage throughout the tank. Have you been testing you water params? Nitrate and phosphate?

The pics do make it look a little yellow. It's not as yellow. Theres a little bit though. Thanks! Just waiting for it to fill in. I'll spread it out a little more. I have never tested params. Fish are always healthy and no algae so I never have. I'm moving it to my room soon and will upgrade to a eheim 2211. If that matters. Haha

When you move it, I'd put or paint a black background on this tank... I think it'd look good with black. You might want to invest in the test kits. You might not have problems now, but if/when you do, it's important to have the liquid tests so when can offer you help.

I actually thought about a background. Hmmm- ok ill try and pick one up this week then. Thanks.

Jeta- it's a true 40w cfl. I shouldn't have leggy growth I would think.

Do you have a drop checker? A HOB that far above the water line worries me with regards to co2 offgassing.

I have a drop checker coming in the mail in the next few days. Here's the light set up.

Attachments

• image-912843752.jpg
    image-912843752.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 62
Also- I changed and rescaped everything about two weeks ago when I switched from sand to floramax. When i did this could I have caused a diatom bloom?

Back
Top Bottom